I'm still trying to figure out the best way for me to make these, but I'm getting the hang of it I think. One thing I keep messing up is the pattern size - I'm not allowing enough overall width to allow the cover to close all the way, but this one is almost perfect (finally). Now if I can just get the stitching down (I hate hand stitching). This was made from cheap Tandy leather that was on sale a few months back, and it's tooled with a few of the basic stamps, then dyed with the Tandy Profession Waterstain (Red), then blotted with Fiebing's Pro Oil Black, then I airbrushed Fiebing's Pro Oil Dark Brown to blend the black and red. I then coated it with two heavy coats of Fiebing's Leather Balm with Atom Wax.

I wanted to antique the tooling, but I didn't want to seal the leather with an acrylic finish or anything like that - I want it to still feel like leather, so I'm not sure how to antique it at this point. Any suggestions?

The first photo shows the red most accurately - overall, the entire piece is fairly dark - not nearly as bright red as the second two photos. This thing was a nightmare to photograph and I was too lazy to setup a light box.

IMG6202-L.jpg

IMG6181-L.jpg

331690406829552698452174826459-L.jpg

I really like this piece. The color is beautiful and your stitching is excellent ( subtle and delicate IMO). For someone that hates hand stitching you do a wonderful job You_Rock_Emoticon.gif

Mate I love the colour. Nice job!

Very nice job...my next project is to be a journal, so this one really got my attention.

adam

I really like this piece. The color is beautiful and your stitching is excellent ( subtle and delicate IMO). For someone that hates hand stitching you do a wonderful job You_Rock_Emoticon.gif

gotta agree with these comments. really really nice

Thanks everyone - I appreciate the compliments. I forgot to mention, but part of my comment about still trying to figure out the best way to make these was also referring to the best way to sew them. I have a Cobra Class 4, but the leather is too thin to use the standard base plate with the lower feed dog. I can use the holster or stirrup plate so the thickness is no longer a problem, but then I get horrible puckering on the bottom since the lower feed dog isn't pressing the puckering flat. I could minimize that by switching to a smaller thread and needle, but I can't afford to have different thicknesses of thread right now so I'm stuck with 277 thread and 200 needles. Anyway, to save time, I punched all the holes with my machine using the holster plate, but that left tracks (and the puckering) even with VERY little presser foot pressure. I didn't just use the machine to sew it because the leather is too thin to bury the 277 thread knot. But, with a saddle stitch, you don't really have that problem since there is no knot...

Eric

What oz leather is it? I love the color!! Do you have an old walking foot machine that you could just use 138 thread in by any chance?

It's 3-5 if memory serves... I used to have a Consew 206rb that I'm kicking myself for selling! Will buy another if I can sell enough of these. I sorta feel like it has to be hand sewn though to justify the price I hope to charge.

I make a lot of book covers to get the right measurement add the front, back, and spine measurements up and then add 1" only sew back no more than 1/4" from the edge less than that if you can. This seams to work fine for me.

Simply gorgeous! Love, love, love the coloring!