Rayban

Kydex Holster Clip Alternative?

I saw an article somewhere on-line from a Kydex clip maker who was going to stop making them because he'd had too many complaints about them breaking. He suggested another, stronger material but I cannot remember which material it was.

I was hoping someone here could turn the light on for me.

I'm not liking what metal clips do to a thick leather belt so I would like to try something else...could it have been carbon fiber?

ABS perhaps?

I've had a few issues with the thinner kydex (.09x) forming a 'hinge' in the center of the bend and breaking there. I'll occasionally still make them, but I've gone back to leather loops.

Probably Delrin. I believe the CompTac clips are Delrin http://www.comp-tac....?products_id=81

Bronson

Thanks ...but ouch...pricey boogers eh?

Kydex is OK if you control the heat range ( don't excede 325 F. ) and do gentel bends , if you overheat or overbend it can get brittle . Delrin would be just about ideal if you can get it at a reasonable price .

Chris

I'm trying to get a sample of this product http://www.alimed.com/carboplast-sheets.html to replace kydex.

It is a heat-moldable carbon fiber/ fiber glass composite used in podiatry. My ski boats are made of a similar material ( if not the same thing).

It is pricey stuff.

Jake

I'm trying to get a sample of this product http://www.alimed.co...ast-sheets.html to replace kydex.

It is a heat-moldable carbon fiber/ fiber glass composite used in podiatry. My ski boats are made of a similar material ( if not the same thing).

It is pricey stuff.

Jake

Jake, let me know if/when you try it out, I'd be very interested in the results.

RG

I bought some delrin. First impression? It's really shiny!

I just recieved an e-mail from a customer... he managed to cut his finger pretty good on the edge of a metal clip that happens to be attached to a holster I made.

This worries me... quite a bit. I'm an insurance agent by day. This could easily be a liability issue of some kind.

Obviously I didn't make the clip (it was bought from Springfield Leather, no idea who actually makes them) but there has got to be a better alternative.

Luckily the customer was very cool about it. He just wanted to give me a heads up.

Still, this leaves a bad taste in my mouth....

I sent the manufacturer an email today explaining what the application would be, asking if it was any stronger than Kydex, and if so, how a sample might be obtained along with molding instructions.

Stay tuned..

Jake

Jake, let me know if/when you try it out, I'd be very interested in the results.

RG

I have machined Delrin (Acetal) off and on for many years. It machines beautifully but I was never able to thermoform it. Times march on and new materials are constantly coming out. You all might be able to use some of the info provided at http://www.plasticsm...ta.asp?aid=3787 The article addresses thermoformable Nylon and a new type of Delrin. Either might work well for small run holster clips.

Machined Delrin would probably work well. But I would think the manufacturing costs might be high unless you got into full production runs. That gets expensive up front, but lowers the per item cost considerably.

Hope info helps.

I just sent a pricing and order quantity request to JRMCLIPS.com. They have a metal J-clip that looks pretty useful (look in the '2000 series', at the 1200 clip). There's a nice pic of one on a holster of their 'full product line' page. If there's a large order requirement (1000 pcs minimum) I would consider a group buy.

I'm just curious as to what size kydex you guys are having, or have heard of, issues with? I've been using .125" for a while now on all my clips and haven't had any failures reported back to me yet....

temperatures can also be a major factor in breakage issues with kydex.... or any other plastic for that matter.... if you get it too hot it will still mold and hold the shape, but the plastic itself will become much more brittle once it stiffens back up....

I just sent a pricing and order quantity request to JRMCLIPS.com. They have a metal J-clip that looks pretty useful (look in the '2000 series', at the 1200 clip). There's a nice pic of one on a holster of their 'full product line' page. If there's a large order requirement (1000 pcs minimum) I would consider a group buy.

Good luck. I've sent them emails a few times and have never received a reply.

That's both good and bad to hear.

Good luck. I've sent them emails a few times and have never received a reply.

Same here, at first they (she) told me that they didn't mind smaller orders, but I guess they changes their minds.