Sign in to follow this  
wind power

I Think I Saw The Ultimate Singer!

Too Bad I could not buy it, it was in the State Museum in Columbia South Carolina, it was part of a larger Textile display, describing the importance of textiles and the larger, older cotton mills....I could only think this machine was used for sewing those large leather line shaft belts which everything ran off of in textile plants at the turn of the century..pre 1920's It had an oiler pot on top for the thread...by its age it had to handle some big Linen thread!

This mahine was on a large cast Iron bed over 4 foot long....the sewing machine itself was about 4 foot long and the area between the needle and the column was approching two feet if not so....the machine itself stood about two feet tall and it had two step pullies on the hand wheel side of at least 16 inches or better....I could not find the Singer logo on it but it had the tell-tell singer look, however I found the model number, right where Singer always puts them....it was a 5-10

I snapped a cell phone picture of it...I wish the lighting was a bit better...but it was the best I could do....it was a remarkable machine....no telling what thickness it could sew

<a%20href=IMG_20120811_135053.jpg">

Edited by wind power

Looks like my old 7 -34, best machine I've ever seen for chaps, holsters, belts,wallets even sew saddle skirts and saddle blankets. Will accept wide range of needles and thread plus bobbin is big enough to stitch around a football field.

There was a place in town here that I went to when I walked in the room there was 2 of them running @ once,a real nice clunk,clunk noise.The used then for sewing cotton conveyor belts.The company was boughyt out & the new owner called me saying he had some machines for sale but it wasn't these & he said he never knew about them.

That is a beast!!!.love it