faceOdd

First Pro wrestler mask commission

Hello there,

I've been crazy-busy and someday, I promise to post pictures again of the things I've been up to. For now, however, I'm in desperate need of information.

I've been commissioned to make a custom pro wrestler mask. We have the design worked out, but I've been having nightmares - literally - about the safety aspects.

The outer layer will be 5-6 oz. water-hardened leather, with six straps riveted to this layer with double-cap antique brass rivets. There will be an inner layer of 3-4 oz. leather to keep the rivets from ever touching his face. The two layers will be sewn together. There will also be a chin strap. The mask will lace in the back to hold it securely to his face.

My concerns:

~How can I make it easy to remove in the case of an emergency without risking it being pulled off by accident during a match? My idea is to include a pair of paramedic's shears for cutting the laces if need be, but he wouldn't be able to pull it off himself.

~Some people line the masks with hard rubber in key places. How can I do this, and what are the 'key places'? With the double-leather concept, I was thinking about putting a thin layer of padding between the two layers, thinking this may suffice. It's hard to know, since I've never been punched in the face before.

~After taking every safety precaution I can possibly think of, how can I keep myself safe from being sued in the event something still manages to go wrong? A liability waiver releasing myself?

Are there things from your experience that have been problematic that I may have not taken into account? I know it needs to be sleek and without buckles, spikes, etc. to keep his opponent safe, but I'll be the first to admit that this is a whole new world for me and I'm feeling a little clueless. I don't want anyone to get hurt - any more than they intend to, anyway!

Thank you for whatever input you may have! With any luck, the mask will make its debut in the ring in two weeks and then I'll be able to post pictures of it : )

Tammy

Edited by TCLeathercraft

Tammy, why not ask the wrestler himself? Tell him what you're planning and see what input he's able to offer. Since this mask is essentially going to be his in-the-ring identity, I'm guessing he'd be more than happy to help out...

I'm not trying to dodge your questions, but I think the best advice is probably going to come from the customer in this case! :)

Good luck, and please be sure to post pics of this when done! We'd love to see it.

-Alex

Hi Alex,

Thank you for your input. I met with him yesterday. He's not worn a leather mask before, so it's new to him also. I was feeling more confident about it yesterday, but last night I had the worst nightmares about it. I'm sure it'll be fine, but I just wanted to put my questions out there in case someone has information I'm not aware of. I'm such a perfectionist that I won't even let him wear it if I have any reservations when it's done. It's going to look really good, but I want it to function even better : )

Tammy

You need to consult with your Attorney. If You are doing things that put You into liability, You need to protect yourself with the proper Business status, and Insurance. The customer wouldn't be the one to ask about this. He could say one thing and do another if anything happened. You don't want to lose money or property. Inc/LLC, etc is fairly cheap to protect your House.

Ummm...nightmares? I know this isn't something you want to hear when there's potential for a commission to be displayed in public, but you asked. My input is to pass. You don't know what's required. He doesn't know what's required. Physical safety is involved. There's potential liability. You have anxiety that's giving you nightmares. While these cues don't automatically mean a train-wreck is coming, this is certainly the part of the movie where the music gets real ominous, the camera shots are switching around real fast, and you're stomach gets a little queasy at the suspense. Life's short. Live it. Don't have nightmares about it.

Dale

Don't know much about wrestling but they seem organized enough to have a rule book or something, maybe contact the organization and get some info?

how about using velcro on at least one of the straps so that it can be easily removed in case of whatever....some of the industrial strength stuff is very very strong and if you sandwiched the hooks between two layers of loops it would not be easy to remove

my mom says how about spandex instead of straps...then it would pull on snug.

Edited by roo4u

From my point of view, you're making a mask, not a helmet or safety apparatus, so make a mask.

Velcro would work by itself I think too, even with wrestling. but... If it were me making the mask I'd use a zipper (industrial strength) in the back and probably have a velcro closure over the top of the zipper to hide it and to make the mask look more streamlined. Just remember that masks have been done before, and are still used, so if they can do it, so can you. Just my perspective on the matter anyway and that's the attitude I'd take.

Thank you, everyone, for your input.

I decided to take the commission. The mask is finished and delivered to the wrestler. We're both very pleased with the results. Once it makes its debut in the ring next week, I'll post pictures in the 'show off' section.

Thanks again! Now I'm off to make pink leather fairy wings and bags for senior citizens' walkers. Such a strange summer!

Tammy

TCLeathercraft,

First of all you need to know I am not a lawyer. My experience is based on issues we had with the Harley Davidson's Owner Group Chapter that I belonged to and we started asking about things like Taxes, Liabilities, etc. The first thing I learned is that if you are operating like a business, then you need to begin acting like a business. If you are putting funds into your personal bank account, then the IRS can treat that as personal income not as business income. You need a separate accounting system. If you are not incorporated, then someone suing you can come after all your personal assets (banks account, home, car, etc). By incorporating, you can get some level of protection. You will need a lawyer familiar with Corporate Law in your state.

We incorporated the HOG Chapter so that the Officers had some level of protection. We also set up a separate bank account so that the officers did not have to use their personal accounts. The hard part was setting up the paper work and the process. Once one chapter in the State made it through all the others were able to do so using that template and did not have a problem. HD Inc now helps its HOG Chapters to Incorporate.

There should be someone in your area that helps out small businesses.

BillB.

I've seen a few wrestling masks and they all seem to be made out of spandex and/or vinyl. They don't offer any kind of protection at all. I don't think anyone who wrestles would think otherwise, but you had probably better make sure that your client understands that before he gets in the ring.