Sign in to follow this  
Iron Pounder

Tippmann Boss Foot Operated Stand?

Had a local guy here tell me he thought he saw a stand that converted the boss to foot operation. I can't seem to find one anywhere, I do see just a basic stand but it just bolts on and doesn't convert.

He may have been reffering to the Tippmann Aerostitch, it is pneumatic and does have foot pedals. I am not sure how you would convert the Boss to foot operation. I attached a page from the aerostitch manual that shows a stand and foot pedals.

Scott

Edited by camano ridge

Hi:

After watching how this machine works, doubt that a foot operated thing would work UNLESS, maybe if it was a two pedal set up where one pedal pulled the handle forward and another pulls it back. Could be something interesting to try.

We could make it work with one pedal, just need the right profile on the cam that would mirror the complete stroke. It would be easier with two pedals of course but I have very little movement in my right ankle (I'm lucky to still have one). I have a prosthetic shoulder and when I heard something might be out there that would not only let me have both hands on the material, be easy on my shoulder and allow a faster and straighter stitch I at least wanted to check it out. I would say that the average person would have zero trouble with pulling and pushing the lever but with a makeshift shoulder doing a long run is not much fun. It is however light years beyond trying to hand sew for me.

You could do it with a single pedal, but you'd have to put a pretty stout return spring on it. I say 'pretty stout' because the 'up' stroke is what makes the stitch and pulls the knot inside the leather.

Think of a arm that operates on a cam that mirrors the stroke of that Boss. You wouldn't need a return spring the pedal would move the arm a complete cycle with one downmotion. We might convert it I'm not sure. You would have to take the arm off and on 9just one bolt) if you wanted to take it with you somewhere portable.

I had looked at getting the Luberto's Cub before I got my Boss and since it's a full rotary throw, I'd considered motorizing IT. What I thought of was a bevel gear set (90 degree), with a motor mounted vertically on the side of the machine. I suppose you could do the same with a Boss and a true Servo motor (the kind that turns x degrees, then returns).

ETA: I guess we could "Rube Goldberg" this thing until it works......

I had looked at getting the Luberto's Cub before I got my Boss and since it's a full rotary throw, I'd considered motorizing IT. What I thought of was a bevel gear set (90 degree), with a motor mounted vertically on the side of the machine. I suppose you could do the same with a Boss and a true Servo motor (the kind that turns x degrees, then returns).

ETA: I guess we could "Rube Goldberg" this thing until it works......

Mike

I love that thing. I had never heard of that machine until now. I couldn't find how much they are welling them for on the website so I would guess it is more than it should be.