Sign in to follow this  
Bluesman

Neat Lacr, Antique And Cova Color

Any issue with this method? Aniqaue, neat lac, cova color, tan kote. Or Neat Lac, Cova color, tan kote. Thanks in advance.

neet laq (let dry overnight), antique, tan kote.

Thanks, that part I have. But I want to paint a few things with cova color and trying to figure out were it fits best in the combination.

You can put color under the neet laq, but it might disolve it. Not sure, everything I make is brown. Antique needs to be over the neet laq or your leather will look like mud.

I don't know how neatlac responds to Cova, but I put it over all my pro-oil dyes and it's just fine.

here's the question. I want to put neat lac on the project to preserve the natural leather in some areas, then apply antique. Then i want to color a few spots. I am wondering if I can put Cova color over neat lac, not visa versa. I will use tan kote for the fianl finish. I am concerned with cova color adherring to the neat lac. Sorry, I wasn't very clear in my opening remarks.

Definitely Test it out first. Many lacquer type products and even some 'water based' like Resolene will dissolve or pull the pigment out of acrylics. Best best is to add an extra step in there: do a wash of flat varnish over the color and then proceed to do the rest as normal. All of my smaller color bibs are done this way and it works great. The other finishes don't bother the varnish at all so the color is protected and allows your top coat to be consistent throughout the piece. Use a flat varnish though as a semi or gloss under another finish will cause the area to have double the shine and will look out of place. Yuo can generally fins flat varnishes at art or craft supply stores for pretty cheap both in aerosol and brushable. I recommmend the brushable as the propellant in the aerosol cans can actually kill the pigment in transparent paints like hues and layer colors.

Were gettimg close. Can I put Cova Color over neat lac? Will it adhere? I understand the final coat process. Want to make sure that the cova color adheres to the neat lac..

Got it !!! Thanks

You may want to use deglazer on the areas you want to do the cova, just to make sure it is bonding to the leather rather than to (or not to) the antique, neatlac or whatever finish(es) you are using. On small areas, use deglazer with some Q-tips. TRY ON SCRAP FIRST!!! This may work, or it may not, depending what operations you are doing.