CustomDoug

Ll Vs Lr Needles , Stitch Patterns ...

I'm trying to decide between the LL and LR shaped machine needles for leather and was wondering and hoping that I could see some examples of the stitch patterns that they lay down. I read somewhere that Schemtz made these needles and supposedly there were videos showing these patterns (among all the various different points they offer), but I can not find it on their website. Does anyone know of the link? Also, are there any other brands I should look to? Pictures possibly? Mostly looking for the 135x16 system in various sizes. Thanks in advance.

Edited by CustomDoug

I think this is what you are asking for,,, http://www.campbell-...Point-Part1.pdf

or http://www.campbell-bosworth.com/supply/needles.html

Edited by Greystone

@ mikesmith648, I checked youtube first but after watching a couple of pretty long videos that ended up having nothing to do with the stitch patterns I gave up.. do you know of a specific one I need to see out of that list? @ greystone, those campbell-bosworth links are very helpful - Thanks a ton.

Greystone - those links may or may not be what the OP was looking for, but I can never remember where that page is - thanks for sharing! I'm going to bookmark it right now for future reference. :)

Try this downloadable reference guide from schmetz. http://www.schmetzneedles.com/learning/pdf/leather-needles.pdf

It has examples of the stitch patterns that different needles produce.

Thanks Tom (et al)... unfortunately it looks like the "seam appearance" picture (on the Schmetz pdf) of the LR/RTW (as well as it's corresponding LBR & WD R TW) needle is wrong. It shows those threads sewn in an LEFT side LOW - RIGHT side HIGH pattern, which is what the LL needle should be producing [////]. It's done correctly on the Campbell-bosworth page btw. The "seam appearance" picture of the LL needles on the schmetz pdf is hard to make out but it appears to angle opposite of what it should, ever so slightly.

I use a "S" needle 794 S 200 for my 277 thread. Gives me a great straight stitch line. Looks much better than the LL or the LR

post-22515-066962800 1346379471_thumb.jp

That "S" needle made stitch you did looks a lot straighter than the picture on Campbell-bosworth page where the thread looks more like //// (which is what I'm after). Thanks for posting that picture, I'd love to see others with their personal work done using the other needles. Unfortunately Campbell-bosworth and Schmetz are contradicting each other. I wish I could get one of each including S and maybe another or two besides the LL and LR - just to know for sure.

Hi all, Had the same questions about different points their effect on stitch looks. The best info i found was on at Groz-Beckertt.com. They have a downloadable pdf that is an excelent reference guide to needle points and their effects. Gump.

Hi all, Had the same questions about different points their effect on stitch looks. The best info i found was on at Groz-Beckertt.com. They have a downloadable pdf that is an excelent reference guide to needle points and their effects. Gump.

Thanks Gump, here's the link to that ref guide: http://groz-beckert.com/website/media/en/media_master_376_low.pdf . They seem to agree with Schmetz on the angle of LL and LR. Unfotunately they both contradicting with Campbell-Bosworth. Does Campbell produce their own needles? If not, who's do they sell? They seem to use the same illustrated symbol to describe the hole made, but they are labeled opposite. Can someone check to see if I'm not looking at this wrong? thanks.

I use a "S" needle 794 S 200 for my 277 thread. Gives me a great straight stitch line. Looks much better than the LL or the LR

post-22515-066962800 1346379471_thumb.jp

Where did you get the "S" 794 needles from? I have been looking for them all over and no luck so far.......thanks in advance

Where did you get the "S" 794 needles from? I have been looking for them all over and no luck so far.......thanks in advance

I am not sure where I got them. I bought 10) 794 S 200 and 10) 794 S 180 when I did get them so its been a while. You can get them from Bob @ Toledo industrial Machines.

He should have them in stock 1-866-362-7397. He has a lot of needles and other stuff. One of the advertisers on this forums too. They have a website but its better to just call him and ask.

Zack White also has them listed on his site. they are $1.80 ea. I have not used him but they are a advertiser on this site and I have never heard bad things about them.

Let me know if you cant get one from either of these two places.

I'm trying to decide between the LL and LR shaped machine needles for leather and was wondering and hoping that I could see some examples of the stitch patterns that they lay down. I read somewhere that Schemtz made these needles and supposedly there were videos showing these patterns (among all the various different points they offer), but I can not find it on their website. Does anyone know of the link? Also, are there any other brands I should look to? Pictures possibly? Mostly looking for the 135x16 system in various sizes. Thanks in advance.

Buy a pack of each one and see what you like the best. They don't cost much.

I am not sure where I got them. I bought 10) 794 S 200 and 10) 794 S 180 when I did get them so its been a while. You can get them from Bob @ Toledo industrial Machines.

He should have them in stock 1-866-362-7397. He has a lot of needles and other stuff. One of the advertisers on this forums too. They have a website but its better to just call him and ask.

Zack White also has them listed on his site. they are $1.80 ea. I have not used him but they are a advertiser on this site and I have never heard bad things about them.

Let me know if you cant get one from either of these two places.

Thanks for the Info!!!.....I'll give them a call tomorrow.....