Edvin

Beginner Having Problem With A Singer 45K25.

Two weeks ago I spoke to one of the premier saddlers in Australia and he uses a 45k25 for most of his machine stitching.

Sewing is 95% technique and 5% equipment.

I just got one of these machines too. Was trying to figure out what kind of linen thread to use. I was planning on a 4 cord but now sure if I should be buying Left or Right twist. What do you guys think?

Left twist only in standard lockstitch machines. Right twist thread is used in some curved needle sole stitchers and in most dual needle machines for the left needle and hook only.

If you are thinking of running linen thread in a Singer 45k, I wish you luck. I'm not saying it can't be done; just that it will be harder and messier than you think. First of all, make sure your machine has a Singer wax pot on top and that the holes are open and any internal guides are present and clean. Buy liquid hardening stitching wax, like Sellari's, Lax Wax, or Ceroxylon. I found Lax Wax had too much water content, looked like milk and softened the linen thread so much it kept breaking on the upstrokes. Ceroxylon looks and feels like rubber cement and also has a water base that softens linen thread in modern lockstitch machines. Sellari's is a real liquid wax. It is very sticky, like pure, thick honey, or STP. The wax will harden inside the stitch holes and lock the knots together and make the thread water resistant. It will need to be cleaned out of all guides, tensioners and the hook and race right after you finish sewing. Don't let it harden in the machine. You can dilute it in the wax pot and clean the thread path and needle with Sellari's wax thinner.

check out your other post nategines. http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=68528&hl= i have done some tests with the linen thread and the binder on the 45k21 machine and posted it there. good luck.