thenrie

Question Regarding Stringing

I have an old saddle needing new saddle strings. I was reading Dave Jones' book on saddlemaking. He uses D- rings screwed through a concho and the skirts to the bar and hangs his strings from the D-ring. Seems to me that would be an easy fix for my saddle, but then I use those strings. I tie on slickers, saddlebags, night rolls, and other stuff for long rides. Will screws hold? If so, I could also attach stuff with snap rings, straps and buckles, etc. Most saddles I've ever seen had the strings threaded through the bars. Some were under the sheepskin and some exposed. Jones also attaches his skirts to the bars with screws, rather than with saddle strings. Actually, the sheepskins also need to be replaced, so I can do it either way. Any thoughts on which is better and why?

I'm thinking it depends on how the strings are put on now. If their through the bars then that's what i would go back with, because your going to have a hard time hitting the spot where their is wood to hold a screw unless you move them up, down or to one side or the other.

I agree. Fix it like it was like it was made but, make sure there arernt lumps under the strings. Also make sure you screw or nail the skirts on on the top edge of the bar under the gullet, cantle and leading edge of the fork. this is usual even with string throug saddles. On new saddles I like to screw them into the bars, I feel every time you drill through the tree you weaken it. Especially on the front tip of the bars I've seen a lot of old saddles the have broken there where the string holes are. If screws aren't strong enough to hold what your tieing on get a paksaddle and learn a diamond hitch. Thats my just my opinion take it or leave it as you like. That Dave Jones book has some interesting ideas in, I really liked the section on sewing the cantle binder.

Thanks for the responses. Sorry I took so long to get back to the thread. By the way, I have known how to pack a packsaddle and tie a diamond hitch since I was in high school, many, many years ago.

As it turns out, with the above-mentioned saddle, the horn is also loose, so I figure maybe this winter I'll just disassemble the saddle, fix everything and put it all back together and learn some things in the process.

As for the Jones book, I wish he had included a few more photos of the finished saddle he documented the making of. I liked the design and thought it would make a good lightweight trail saddle.

Thenrie,

Sorry if my comment seemed rude. :oops: in person it would have been said with a smile and a giggle. I sould have noticed your interests also. Hope you'll accept my apology.

Thenrie,

Sorry if my comment seemed rude. :oops: in person it would have been said with a smile and a giggle. I sould have noticed your interests also. Hope you'll accept my apology.

Thing about electronic communication is you can't always see what's behind it. No apology necessary, I didn't take it wrong. I appreciated your response. Mine must have come across poorly as well. I got the answers I was looking for. Thanks.