Tree Reaper

New Shop Press

Just bought a new shop press and saved $70, just happened to be what I was looking for and on sale to boot!

I can use it as a leather press and a clicker.

post-19342-0-04530600-1348428811_thumb.j

I'm still trying to understand what people click, is that like snapping your fingers or something? I also don't know what people press, seriously Kevin. Do you use a press like I use my c-clamp on more, I mean bigger?

I'm still trying to understand what people click, is that like snapping your fingers or something? I also don't know what people press, seriously Kevin. Do you use a press like I use my c-clamp on more, I mean bigger?

Cheryl, Take a look at this

Plate Embossing And Die Cutting

Hi Cheryl, yes I'll use it in the same manner as your C-clamp.

I've been using a wood workers vise but I find the surface area too small for the molds I'm using.

The nice thing about this one is the gauge on top that allows you to control the pressure.

It will also double for clicking or cutting leather using custom dies.

Kevin.

I just read the thing Cheryl sent me to, plus now what you said. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around putting two ton of pressure on a polyurethane embossed die (didn't know what a die or clicker was) and making a leather impression. Absolutely amazing.

Neat looking press. How about some specs and buying information, source etc., please.

Paul

Here are the specs Paul ...

Description

• Bed Width: 13 in.

• Working Range: 0 to 13 in.

• Ram Stroke: 7 in.

• Dimensions: 23-1/4 x 19 11/16 x 41-5/16 in.

Product Specifications

• Package Dimensions: 30.0" x 21.0" x 6.0"
  • Weight (lbs): 115.5

Was bought at Princess Auto in Canada.

Page 13 in this weeks flyer

http://www.flyertown.ca/flyers/princessauto-princessauto?sf_any=true&flyer_run_id=2792&type=1#!/flyers/princessauto-princessauto?flyer_run_id=2792

Neat looking press. How about some specs and buying information, source etc., please.

Paul

Paul:

You can do the same thing with the Weaver bench top press. I changed out the 6-ton jack that came with it and put on an air-over-hydraulic 12-ton jack. The jack was ~$40 at Harbor Freight.

Thanks, TR and K-Man for the information. Now to see if I can duplicate the item here in the USA. Does it happen to have a brand name displayed anywhere on the item?

Paul

Princess Auto presses are made in China. No name brand. Take a look in Harbor Freight. Also do a search here for presses. There are a few threads I recall, including a link to a PDF about using hydraulic presses for clicking.

I bought the Princess Auto 20 ton press a few months ago. It was on sale for the same price as a 10 ton so i couldn't resist it. Now need to get some dies made. My son has been using it doing mechanical repairs since I put it in his shop. Ran out of space here!

CTG

The press looks identical to the one Grizzly sells here in the U.S. Grizzly is an importer of woodworking and metalworking equipment and have internet sells as well as 3 stores in the U.S. I just happen to live close to the one in Springfield Missouri, so I save the shipping cost (but have to pay tax ??) I am planning on getting one and making some modifications so I can use it as a clicker and also for other embosing needs with large dies. I fiqure with the guage a person should be able to closely duplicate the impressions.

Paul:

You can do the same thing with the Weaver bench top press. I changed out the 6-ton jack that came with it and put on an air-over-hydraulic 12-ton jack. The jack was ~$40 at Harbor Freight.

Hi K-man how does the air-over-hydraulis work been thinking of doing the same but not sure if it works on the up strock as well as the down stroke. How do you control the amount of presher do you use a gage, also how do you release the preasher do you have to still twest the little nob on the jack? I would like to have something that I can control with my feet that away I dont have to take my hands off the project I find that when I have a large piece of leather it hepls to have someone else turn the nob and pump the handle.

Whiteeugene - I have a 30 ton version of the air/hydraulic press in my mechanical repair shop. The air pressure just runs an air powered motor on the hydraulic pump (hand lever can be used if desired). Once there is any backpressure on the cylinder, the attached gauge shows the amount of pressure exerted. To release, yes there is a small knob that is turned by hand and the cylinder will retract by 'spring' pressure.

With a little extra hose, the air control could easily be converted to a foot control, right now it is just a hand controlled valve, much like you would have on a compressed air blow gun. The release likely couldn't be modified.

Hope this helps.

JJ

Whiteeugene - I have a 30 ton version of the air/hydraulic press in my mechanical repair shop. The air pressure just runs an air powered motor on the hydraulic pump (hand lever can be used if desired). Once there is any backpressure on the cylinder, the attached gauge shows the amount of pressure exerted. To release, yes there is a small knob that is turned by hand and the cylinder will retract by 'spring' pressure.

With a little extra hose, the air control could easily be converted to a foot control, right now it is just a hand controlled valve, much like you would have on a compressed air blow gun. The release likely couldn't be modified.

Hope this helps.

JJ

Thanks JJ I sent you a response to your also

Thanks Doug

I have a similar setup but with a harbor freight press, I too swapped out the jack for the air version. Its by no means quick but it sure saves pumping. The key is to only release it enough to get the die and leather out and insert the next piece then it only takes a few seconds. Sure beats cutting.

Hi K-man how does the air-over-hydraulis work been thinking of doing the same but not sure if it works on the up strock as well as the down stroke. How do you control the amount of presher do you use a gage, also how do you release the preasher do you have to still twest the little nob on the jack? I would like to have something that I can control with my feet that away I dont have to take my hands off the project I find that when I have a large piece of leather it hepls to have someone else turn the nob and pump the handle.

It has worked great. I've been using this configuration for approximately 5 years now. The jack does not have a dial showing the pressure. The air action is engaged with a "switch" (for lack of a better description) that is depressed and located on a portion of the air hose. The pressure is released with the traditional small button/knob on the cylinder. As JJs Leatherworks mentioned, you could convert the switch to a foot pedal with little effort.

I have a similar setup but with a harbor freight press, I too swapped out the jack for the air version. Its by no means quick but it sure saves pumping. The key is to only release it enough to get the die and leather out and insert the next piece then it only takes a few seconds. Sure beats cutting.

Thanks Billymack hows the weather in Altoona this time of year I used to go to the national guard armory once in a while in the 80's when I was stationed at Indian town gap.

It has worked great. I've been using this configuration for approximately 5 years now. The jack does not have a dial showing the pressure. The air action is engaged with a "switch" (for lack of a better description) that is depressed and located on a portion of the air hose. The pressure is released with the traditional small button/knob on the cylinder. As JJs Leatherworks mentioned, you could convert the switch to a foot pedal with little effort.

Thanks K-man I have a foot pedal on my sand blaster its from harbor Freight also. The current press I have has a pump to the side and a slave cylinder attached to the top of the press. It works great for small items but if I want to punch several things out of a hide it's kind of hard to hold onto the leather and die and pump the handle at the same time.

Its pretty cold right now in Altoona. Freezing cold actually. Luckily my shop is a balmy 70.

Here's a picture of my set up. I cut the ram off and attached a 1/2" plate. It serves double duty as I use it for clicking and molding, I just replace the gum rubber with another 1/2" thick piece of steel.

A foot control would be nice, unfortunately my hose isn't long enough so I'd have to switch that. Otherwise the control could easily be modified. I have a foot control for my burnisher and my grinder(dremal type but bigger with a flex shaft)

As you can see a pair of vise grips makes releasing the pressure quite easy. I also have the button clamped to where its convenient.

C9047D20-8CD7-4835-AE19-C2B1ABB3DD2D-52459-00002E88A46E68DB.jpg

Edited by billymac814

Anyone have any video of their air assist press? I would love to see that. I have a guy making me a few bench top presses for molding Kydex and might be able to have him do one of them with air jack for my clicker.

Thanks for your help