douglais

Helmets For Sturgis

I'm thinking of taking my leather helmets to Sturgis next year, but it's extremely expensive to get in as a merchant. I'm not a biker, I'm more of a living history guy, so I'd like any opinions on whether these helms would be something a biker would like. They're not DOT approved, but I didn't think that would be a consideration for anybody who wanted one.

My website is "http://leatherhelms.com".

I appreciate any input.

Doug Lais

post-16976-0-17040900-1348694201_thumb.j

post-16976-0-78863400-1348694270_thumb.j

I think they'd be a hit! You know it gets wild and crazy at Stugis!

Your helmits are awsome. Can not comment on Sturgis, but none of the mini helmits the bikers wear are DOT approved. They just buy stickers that say that they are.

There are also states that don't require helmets where they could be worn.

Thanks folks. Part of me, after counting the cost, wants to boldly jump into the craziness, and part of me wants to play it safe, and sit at home and take in a couple internet orders. I've never really regretted a bold venture out.

I'm thinking of taking my leather helmets to Sturgis next year, but it's extremely expensive to get in as a merchant. I'm not a biker, I'm more of a living history guy, so I'd like any opinions on whether these helms would be something a biker would like. They're not DOT approved, but I didn't think that would be a consideration for anybody who wanted one.

I appreciate any input.

Doug Lais

Yeah, they'd do well at Sturgis...that many people, some with a gob of cash burning holes in their pockets. I'd add a "medieval biker" style just to try and capture more of the market though. Basically like the black one without the horns or earflaps, just the brain bucket & a chin strap. That way you'll get the orders from the guys who want a cool looking, semi-functional helm for riding in those states that don't require helmets. Make sure though, that you get stickers or tags for the inside that state "not DOT reviewed or approved as a protective helmet, use while riding at your own risk". Always CYA with things like this.

Good advice...a simpler brain bucket, and CYA labels.

WAy cool, man! Just break them out @ the Buffalo Chip when everybody is good and liquored up, you'll sell all you can haul there.

And more.

Edited by bustedlifter

I appreciate any input.

Doug Lais

Link doesn't work....... Grrrrreat Helmets

Douglais-

Take it from somebody who has been to a lot of biker rallies as a vendor; there are a host of large biker rallies you should try first before Sturgis or Daytona. It will save you money and give you a better idea of what the market is. A lot of states have "Too Poor for Sturgis" rallies, Laconia in NH, The Carlyle rally in PA, to name just a few. And yeah, the helmets with horns would more than likely sell well.

Thanks for the excellent advice. I never thought of that. Anyway, I won't be going to Sturgis after all, since some plans I had changed, so it's a no-go for now.

You would sell all if you came to Daytona, either for bike week or biketoberfest. There are plenty of places where vendors set up and the costs arent crazy. Only because it is spread out over many many miles and different cities. There is no helmet law here in Florida, and those helmets would sell great imo.

Yeah, Sturgis was unbelievably expensive, but I found out there's a bike rally right here in Peoria, the Budweiser Grand Nationals, in August. The fee is about one thirtieth (1/30) of Sturgis, and it's big enough to keep me busy for months making product before the show. No driving, no camping, low fees, sleep in my own bed, eat at home. What's not to love?

Those are GREAT!!! Nice job!