Sign in to follow this  
dfivdayz

How Do You Do Holes?

Ok i'm asking it...

How do yall do your holes especially in thick leather 3/8"+???

I want to achieve clean holes front and back...i am aligned, the front looks good but its like the back got done with a broom handle...i use a dremel and the little press and it has really helped in getting everything looking straight its just the back..ive used 110degree-135degree-brad point and the pilot point drill bits...i know its probably something like crossing my toes when i pull the handle down...i just need to know which toes...!!!!!!.....help..help...

thanks for any help

Edited by dfivdayz

Are you drilling into wood beyond the leather?

Then that's part of your problem.

Put wood under the leather to support it.

Use a firm Punch Board to punch on. I use a Lead block. Nylon cutting Boards are good, end grain Hardwood etc. I never drill because of the burning effect of the Drill bit friction. Kindest Regards. Jim Saddler.

If they are the standard round screw in punches like mini-punches and maxi-punches I chuck the handle into a drill press and spin them on in. It makes a clean hole and pulls right out easily, No cranking the punch back and forth trying to pull it out of hard or thick leather. The holes are smooth. I use scrap cutting board on the drill press table as a backer.

I personally prefer to just mark where I need the hole using a stylus, line it up with a punch, and give it a few solid whacks with my rawhide mallet.

If you've got the right sized chuck, you can mount just about any punch in a drill. That will yield a better hole because even spinning, a punch slices the leather, where a drill bit has a tendency to tear the leather.

I picked up one of the multi-punch sets a long while back and one of the things I noticed is that the tip has a LOT of shoulder to it - much more than a dedicated punch does. I chucked up the handle and spun the bits against a belt sander to make them more tapered. It made a world of difference when using them.