Hammster

Cheap Alternative Material For Swivel Knife Practice

Hi guys, I know I have seen something on this subject a long time ago, but I can't find it anywhere.

Is there another cheaper material that I could use to practice my swivel knife techniques on? I thought I saw something about using a sheet of wax, or something like that. Thanks All

Most leather stores have boxes of small pieces, they are pretty inexpensive, sold by the pound. Lots of times you can find pieces large enough to make some small projects. Springfield Leather (Sponsor Here) sells 2lbs for around $8.00. Tandy sells tooling leather pieces at 1lb for about $10.00 retail, if you have a gold or Elite warehouse membership it is cheaper ($6.75 for elite). I would call Springfield Leather and get them to send you a couple of pounds.

Chief

Thanks for the replay. That is what I have been doing, I am just always looking for a way to save a buck. I was snooping through your gallery and I like your work bench. I am just about done with mine and will post pics soon. Thanks again for the replay.

I read the post you're talking about, if I remember correctly, it was suggested that you could use parafin wax. My concern would be that it wouldn't have the same feel as carving leather. With the pieces you not only get to practice carving, you can practice and experiment with casing, even dying and finishing, antiquing etc. Personally I think the real thing is the best thing to practice on.

Thanks about the work bench, it's functional, that picture is a couple of years old and I've added some more items, a bigger slab, and some other features. Need to update the pictures.

Chief

I found the page that I was looking for. Here it is LINK