Cmoore

Utility/ Oil Tanned Leather Help

Hello! I am new to working with leather,I've been doing production sewing with silk for ten years. I make handbags and purse and recently just started working with thicker leather. I bought some oil tanned leather and was wondering if anyone can throw some tips my way. These will sound like silly questions I know but I'm asking them anyway. Do I need to wet the leather when I bevel the edges? How the heck do I get the edges nice and round? Working with the finer leathers I don't seem to have problems with. Sending a link to my site so if anyone checks this out can can view what I'm making and get an idea of the bags I'm making with oil tanned. I would really love some feedback!

www.locknkeyleathers.etsy.com

You can use an edge beveler and then burnish it.

http://d6tcb1qb2rg5x...-296-L.JPG-600x

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=18101

Edited by Tree Reaper

You have some nice items on Etsy...looks like the bigger bags are a hit since you've sold mostly large ones. Did I misunderstand? It looks like you already have made some from oil tanned leather.

Thank you! Yes I have made a few items. I've tried using an edge beveled but it seems to tear the leather up and it's a brand new beveler. Do I need to wet the leather before I bevel it?i tried to burnish it and it doesn't seem to do anything. Does the leather need to be really wet? I heard from an employee at Tandy leather that you can't burnish oil tanned leather. Is this true? I don't care about using edge coat because I like the exposed look but I would like my edges to be round and smooth. What am I doing wrong? Or is it just lack of experience?

I don't know much about the oil tanned leather. I had a piece and tried to edge it but like you it didn't work well. I then wetted the edge and tried to burnish it but no luck. Maybe someone else here can comment.

Is this vegetable tanned latigo, if it is try sanding it smooth and then apply saddle soap and water and then burnish with a cloth.

Edited by Tree Reaper

I'm guessing it's a chrome tanned leather ( all of the oiled tanned that i ever have had was ) chrome tanned leather won't burnish or i never have been able to anyway and it doesn't glue very well either..