Sign in to follow this  
Soybomb

How do I make veg tanned shoulder pink?

Hi guys, glad to see the board is back. I've only done black dye so far but as a special request project I'd like to turn a piece of vegetable tanned shoulder pink. I really favor Angelus dyes right now. If I buy something like "light rose" shown here http://www.turtlefeathers.com/text/angelus/dye.html and put it on, is there a chance it will actually look anything like a nice pink color? Is there a way to bleach it first to take the natural color out? I'm definately open to advice before I just ordering things and hoping for the best :D

Hi,I use angelius dyes myslef but not the pink one (yet). Evey other color I've used have been even Much better than the picture they have...example: yellow, red. green, jade, purple, blue and some more.Give a go, you can always toss it away:-)

ps.Just let it dry before deciding..The moist makes the color darker.

Edited by Tina

Tina,

Where do you get your Angelius dyes ?

Tina,

Where do you get your Angelius dyes ?

Hi,

I get it at turtlefeathers at your link...I only found them at one other place on the net but more expensive. If you never used turtlefeathers before...I love them, quick to send out your order and seam to always have what I want in stock.

Thats really encouraging to hear, you haven't noticed the natural color of the leather changing the final color of the lighter color dyes too much then?

If you want a true pink you won't be able to do it with a dye. A pink dye will fade pretty fast so will need to use a paint. Most show finders will carry good products for doing this but to get a professional look you will need to spray it. Dyo was always the main company for shoe redying but they recently blew up and sold to LCI which has a $100.00 minnimum but I'm sure they could direct you to a jobber that could get you a small quanity of pink.

David Genadek

Where do you get your Angelius dyes?

You can also get Angelus dye direct from the Angelus. Their website is http://www.angelusshoepolish.com/. You'll have to call them to place an order. As of yet you can't order through their website. Their number is (562) 229-0521. If you plan on ordering a gallon be warned that the shipping is going to be expensive. Because its a flammable material their is a $30 dollar fee on top of the shipping. I believe you can order up to 4 gallons for the $30 fee, so it might be worth placing a large order.

Also the color chart at turtle feathers is deceiving. You might want to get a small sample to try out before buying. I'm not sure that its true, but I've heard that Angelus will send out samples for little or no cost.

Jason