lwm803

Another Texan

Hello, I’m Larry from the Texas Hill Country. I retired 5 years ago and just about everything I do is for my own amusement these days. I do a bit of metal fabrication work in a sparsely equipped metal shop in my garage, as well as some woodworking in my woodshop which is better equipped than the garage. So, what does that have to do with leatherworking?

A few weeks ago I was out in the woodshop doing a major clean-up and ran across an old toolbox that I used to carry on the road with me back when I was working out of town more than not. This box contained an odd collection of leather working tools, all from the Tandy store that used to be in Denton Texas back when I spent a lot of time working in that town. Every trip I would buy a few tools, maybe a kit or two, and occasionally a bit of leather or some hardware for projects not related to Tandy’s kits. I was getting fairly comfortable with leather working, even doing a bit of tooling, but in the end making chainmail armor proved to be a more easily portable hobby to occupy my motel time and help keep me out of trouble, so the leather tools have been all but neglected for several years now. I would occasionally dig them out to repair something or to take care of a small leather detail in an otherwise metal/wood project.

I decided that I could likely get some use out of these tools if they were not always tucked away in that old toolbox on the top shelf so cleaned out an old office supply storage cabinet to keep them in and built myself a new stitching pony to replace the one that I “donated” to the motel staff one day when I was in too much of a hurry to remember that It was in the room at check out. That stitching pony turned out to be the subject of my first post on this forum so I figured it was time I wrote an introduction. I also built a tool rack for most of the wood handled tools and most of the rest are currently standing in an old chili can, kind of resembles a pencil cup.

There have been occasions in the past couple of years when I thought about making something with leather but never got around to it because all the tools were packed away. It just seemed like too much trouble to dig out the tools. I do not even have a project in mind right now but I still wanted to get everything more accessible for the next time the notion strikes. Time will tell.

Interesting story...will be waiting for that first project photo!

Well, never mind. After reading this form for a few days I finally realize that my little collection of Tandy leather working tools are nothing more than junk and I stand no chance of doing satisfactory work with them. I reckon if internet forums had been around back when I was buying this box of junk I could have spent my time on a computer instead of seeking out a portable hobby. Seems the same everywhere you go, even though I have earned my living using tools of one kind or another for the last 63 years I now know that since my wrenches were never Snap On, my power tools were never Festool, my truck was never a 4 wheel drive diesel, my overalls were never Carhart, none of my guns are tactical, my pocket knife a lowly Case Trapper, and I never even owned a bicycle worth the price of a tire patch, that I never really stood a chance of accomplishing anything worth while.

Aw Shucks Larry.

Its the Craftsman that makes the tools. Its not the tools that make the Craftsman..

Everyone likes nice tools but we always reach for the ones that make our work easier regardless of the maker or quality. Some of my favorites are homemade from nails and bolts. Tandy caters to a large variety of people in the trade and tries to keep it affordable and as a result some of their tool impressions are less than perfect but then again a decent machinest file and a little polish can do wonders. Some people are so obsessed with having nothing but the high dollar tools that they never find the time to learn to use them.You just need to invest in some good leather and get busy.

I'd talk more but I have to go work on my tractor with my Heinze tools.

Best Regards

Blake

Tools and toys don't make the man! Some tools definitely make the job easier, and that is one of the reasons we buy them, often starting out with the cheap ones until we see their short lifespan or other problems.

What makes the man is what you do with them. And as you have done with other work, how you have done work-arounds to get the job done satisfactorily.

Some people buy tools and toys just to show them off. Others really use them.

CTG

Blake and Northmount are right... all I have are older Tandy craft tools and my projects come out fine. I just haven't bit the bullet yet to purchase better tools.

Yes, I know. Sorry for the sarcasm guys. This morning while reading the forums I ran across elitists type statements on a welding forum, a bicycle forum and then one of the discussions here. I just kind of let it get to me a bit, I'm well over it now. I feel like I have done fine over the years with "less" than what is considered by many to be the best. I have no doubt that the quality of my old Tandy tools exceeds my present skill level to use them. Besides, at this stage of my life I would not even be setting up to do leather work if I did not already own them. People were doing leather work before there were specialized tools, Even I made my first holster from an old boot top using little more than a pocket knife, a claw hammer and copper rivets. Wasn't all that pretty but kept that old H&R break top revolver out of my waistband.....LOL

Yes, I know. Sorry for the sarcasm guys. This morning while reading the forums I ran across elitists type statements on a welding forum, a bicycle forum and then one of the discussions here. I just kind of let it get to me a bit, I'm well over it now. I feel like I have done fine over the years with "less" than what is considered by many to be the best. I have no doubt that the quality of my old Tandy tools exceeds my present skill level to use them. Besides, at this stage of my life I would not even be setting up to do leather work if I did not already own them. People were doing leather work before there were specialized tools, Even I made my first holster from an old boot top using little more than a pocket knife, a claw hammer and copper rivets. Wasn't all that pretty but kept that old H&R break top revolver out of my waistband.....LOL

I kind of thought there was some sarcasm here considereing your past work and non-Snap-On tools. But I just couldn't let it go by. I still use a lot of different and cheaper tools in the several hobbies I work with. Some tools obviously have to be replaced, and you soon find those ones. Like a $30 impact wrench that won't undo wheel nuts!

CTG

Did that old boot top come off a store bought or a handmade? Would it have made a difference? LOL . It still got the job done!

Kind Regards

Blake

Hell I'm a hill country resident as well, and I can tell you for a fact that expensive tools are nice but basic "cheapo's" will do the job. Thats how I started. A guy owed me money on hay and settled up with maybe 10 stamps, rivet setter, and a side of leather. I just went to work. I have upgraded some of my tools and added on alot but I will tell ya I still put out high quality work with the "basic seven" circa 1985 haha. The only tools I spent some serious cash on are my mauls, knives (round & otherwise) and a good swivel knife. Hell my strap cutter is a hunting knife hammered into a cutting board with nails as guides. (I do have strap cutters and such but sometimes its nice to keep things old school). Keep your head up amigo. As a fellow welder/ leather craftsman good luck in your future projects.