mistyL

Need Advice On Waterproofing A Leather Ring

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking, enjoying reading your posts, but now I need your help. I made this ring for my husband today and wondered if anyone had any good advice on waterproofing it, I burnished it with some beeswax on a homemade mandrel mounted to my drill. I'm just not sure that would be enough, especially the inside that touches skin.

Thanks so much for any help.

~ Misty

post-56-0-37402300-1349643567_thumb.jpg

Can I be the first to complement you on an intriguing idea plus a wonderful execution of it. It really is just too cool. If it was me I'd use resolene or if you don't have that, mop n glo, either of them cut 50% by water on the inside and outside. Cheryl

Thank you so much Cheryl, I wish it was my idea alone :) I had seen a piece a few years back about how to do it, I think it was by Al Stohlman, but I can't find it anywhere now. Thanks for your advice, I was thinking resolene too.

Of course Al, the man who always has every idea first :-) It's like Osborn tools. If it's a chewed stick matting tool, I swear it has his name on it some where. Well Al doesn't get the credit for your execution of it and I am not trying to dismiss his genius because the man will always be a legend. Still I think yours is beautiful. Cheryl

Misty, I'd try the Feibings Atomwax. I've used that on some recent holsters and water literally beads off of it. I'm not sure how it would react to sweat etc, but it might be worth a try.

Mike

Hi.

Resolene is the way to go imho. At least on the inside. This stuff seals leather completely, so no sweat will be absorbed. It makes leather look a bit like plastic, but it doesn't matter on the inside!

F

i was fooling around and made a ring similar to that one. as soon as it got wet it was ruined. it completely collapsed.

you've just inspired me to make another one. i actually never thought of waterproofiing it.

i was fooling around and made a ring similar to that one. as soon as it got wet it was ruined. it completely collapsed.

you've just inspired me to make another one. i actually never thought of waterproofiing it.

I wonder if you did it like leather armor. heat the water to 175-180 wet then form so it becomes very hard, then finish when dry?

i think you're on the right track, mike. but what probably would have to be done is to wet form it, let it dry and then immerse it in hot a wax / rosin mix (or something similar) to get it to set as well as waterproof it at the same time.

Misty - very cool idea. Would you mind sharing how you made this?

Hi Jon.. Here's a link to a good thread on this.. Near the bottom of page 1, Twin Oaks's post gives you the idea..

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=23254

Hope that helps..

Phil

When I saw this thread I had to make one. I waterproofed it by treating with beeswax. For this small project I just melted some in the microwave and immersed the ring and let it soak up the wax. It's flexible, and quite waterproof.