Hi,

I occasionally do wet moulding for tool sheaths, bags etc. What I need are some tacks that do not stain the leather, the only ones I can get locally or online in the UK are just steel and rust immediately and stain the leather. Not an issue so far as I tend to use dark colours, but I want to try a bag in an undied colour ie pale beige.

In Al Stohlman's books he mentions HAND or SHOE tacks but all the local cobblers say even they can[t get them.

So....... HELP!

Best Wishes

Claire

PS The quantity I need is about 50-100 or so if reuseable.

Google search for "brass escutcheon pins", should get you loads of panel pin style ones, cheap and disposable. Other than that all I can think of is drawing pins or upholstry pins if you want to reuse them.

Hope that helps :)

Sheridan Leather has brass and stainless escutcheon pins.They advertise on this site.

Thanks for the ideas, but I was hoping for tacks (ie flat sided) as I find they 'grip' the leather better. I can source the escutcheon pins etc in the UK but not solid brass tacks.

Best Wishes

Claire

Hi Claire.. I just did a quick search on Google and came up with this place, here in the UK..

May be of some use to ya.. ;) Looks like you can order them by the 10g or 100g pack..

http://www.alwayshobbies.com/Tools-$4-Materials/Fixings-and-Hinges/Fret-Pins/Brass-Fret-Pins.ice

Regards

Phil

Hi

Finally managed to get some on eBay.co.uk

They are solid brass tacks and they are the only place I have managed to source any from. They are, I suspect, salvage of some kind as I ran a magnet through them and about 10% were steel or iron based tacks.

So I shall be very carefil with the ones I got as I'm sure I'll never find any more!

Thanks for all the suggestions....

Best Wishes

Claire

3209966366574040_1.jpg

Claire,

I have purchased solid brass "Clinching nails" for use in shoemaking. You need to use an anvil with them as they have a side point and are designed to strike the anvil and curve back up to the head of the tack. I purchased them from Zackwhite.com. They also sell brass "lace tacks". http://www.zackwhite.com/2532-12-Solid-Brass-Lace-Tacks-1oz-Pack--TT95912_p_3655.html

I'm not quite sure what they are for, but seem to have a square shaft and may be useful to you. I don't know about UK suppliers, sorry.

Regards,

Betsy

Hi Betsy,

Thanks for thought on Brass Tacks. As I said in my post, I did get some on Ebay which did the job. Since then I have had better results from wet moulding using a former and a top plate pressing down, using clamps until dry. Far smoother and less damage in the stitching area. On one bad I made, I ended up lacing instead of stitching, which was done to hide tack holes too close to the bag.

Best Wishes

Claire