Sign in to follow this  
Egraham

How Do I Make A Rope Can?

I've been wanting to make some customized rope and goat rope cans... but have a few questions. Hoping you guys can point me in the right direction. My main question is how is the finished leather peice applied to the plastic can? Is it just glued on...what type of glue would you reccomend that would be strong enough to not peel up after time.... (if that is even how they do it).... Any help is appreciated.

Egraham....I've built lots of them. In fact, I'm working on one as we speak. I typically use Barge on them, and will sand the lid some just to rough up the surface. Most of the cans I done, the customers wanted some sort of conchos. In that case, I just drill the hole through the lid and put the screw through the can into the concho. One thing to be aware of....be sure the conchos are in a place that can be drilled through the lid and not hit a support or brace. The cans I use exclusively are the Smith Bros. cans. I get them from Willard Ropes. Those cans have a center circle for powder, etc., and I just about jacked one can up putting the conchos where the circle was. Anyway, I hope that helps. Let me know if I can be of further assistance. Bruce Johnson on here does a lot of nice cans too. He may have some more insight also.

I use contact cement also. I rough up the can like Double U said. I put a thin layer of contact cement on the leather and let it dry.Then I put a second coat on and one on the plastic. Once they are pretty tacky then I stick it down. I press it around pretty good to get a good bond. I lay it face down on a towel and weight them overnight - usually a bench anvil and whatever it takes to make about 30 pounds or so.

I also use the Smith Brothers cans and get them from Jeannie Willard. One of the real bright spots of people I buy from. She is just a peach on the phone and ships fast.

Mornin all..

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a can or goat rope can? It's not something I've heard of at all.. ;)

Regards

Phil

It's a storage container for roping gear/ lassos.

Thank you... Thank you... Double U & Bruce,,, your advice is greatly appreciated.

It's a storage container for roping gear/ lassos.

Thankyou Mike..

That's why I've not heard of it..lol ;) I've learnt something today..

Phil

Hi Tom and thanks ever so much for those links.. ;)

There's certainly some work gone into them. Visually stunning work by both Bobby and John, on their respective rope cans..

It's sorta mind boggling how they can just throw ropes into them, though...lol :)

Regards

Phil

Ropers are VERY particular about their ropes! Touching their rope is the equivalent of doing something to their horse...or their wife. I know it seems silly to the average person, but that is their bread and butter, so to speak:)

Ropers are VERY particular about their ropes! Touching their rope is the equivalent of doing something to their horse...or their wife. I know it seems silly to the average person, but that is their bread and butter, so to speak:)

That made me laugh, good n proper.. :)

I have no intentions, (beside perhaps admiring their grace and beauty from a distance), towards the wife, or horse, of any ropers out there and certainly wouldn't fiddle with their ropes.. ;) lol

Regards

Phil