kalis

Riveting Leather Over A Silk Bodice?

I was thinking about upgrading a bodice I have with some thinner, patterned leather I acquired via rivets. Before I took the plunge, I realized that the outside of the bodice is %100 silk. Now, I love this bodice as is, and would love it even more if I could create my vision, but I'd rather not start hacking away at the silk only to ruin everything.

Does anyone have any tips, warnings, or other advice for a noob like me (who has finally learned, after impulsively diving in to projects, that it is always worth the wait to do it right).

My only advice is to try practicing on another silk item first. See how it feels, what the pitfalls are and build your skill before you commit to your beloved garment.

Instead of using standard rivets I suggest using something like a button tack. You can look for them in "no sew button repair kits". It consists of a flat backed tack that locks into a 'button'. You probably don't want an actual button (like you'd see in a blue jean repair kit), but should be able to find something decorative to receive the tack. You could conceivable even just use an actual flat metal thumb tack, pushed through from the back, with a wooden button on the front side. Just mount the tack through the bodice and the leather, center the wooden button on top of it, and tap it down.....basically hammering the wood onto the 'nail'. The tacks are thin enough that should you change your mind, you should be able to remove them from the silk without damaging it. Depending on how thick the fabric + leather is, you might need to trim the tack so that it doesn't protrude through the button, but that's easily done with a pair of side cutters / wire cutters.

One of the first ones that comes up with Google.....you should be able to find them at just about any craft store or maybe even Walmart.

http://www.stuff4sewing.com/antique-brass-no-sew-dungaree-buttons-5-8-4-pkg-sep-38.html?CAWELAID=600777490&gclid=CI2G7-vQibMCFQsGnQod5UMANg