Drac

Covering handles for crops and other items

I just found this... Thanks Drac for the help. I made a leather paddle and flogger.... No wife and I don't use it...it hurts lol and she hits back... hahaha but I seen these and just had to test my skills. It was not as nice as the one you made here. Again, thanks for sharing.

Edited by LarryB

larry

let me guess, she holds the flogger by the wrong end when she hits back? *L* just keep tryin' 'em and you'll get 'em perfect in no time.

Hey Drac,

I am gathering my supplies for my first try at this project, and I was wondering what type/weight leather you are using for the handle wrap.

I was guessing 2-3 or 3-4 oz leather?

any good tips on buying it, ie: smaller quantities so I can get more to try and sample, different names they call it, etc.

Thanks,

I am pumped and ready to try this.

Paul

paul

glad I could give ya the incentive to give this a shot! I use various weights ranging from 1-2 oz to 3-4 oz. ya really don't want to go thicker than that and I tend to stick with the lighter weights mostly. I've used glazed kidskin, latigo, suede, garment, lacing and a few others. it kinda depends on where you're gonna get the leather from as to what the place will call it. basically if it's thin and you like the way it looks, use it. I've gotten scraps to use and whole hides just because I liked the color. as long as a piece will yield the amount you need for what ever braid you decide on, I say grab it. and make sure ya post pics when it's completed! :)

Hey Drac,

thanks for the quick response. I was thinking right along the lines of what you were saying, very cool!

I will surely put up a pic.

I can't wait to get my supplies, now off to go buy some leather!

Paul

paul

glad I could give ya the incentive to give this a shot! I use various weights ranging from 1-2 oz to 3-4 oz. ya really don't want to go thicker than that and I tend to stick with the lighter weights mostly. I've used glazed kidskin, latigo, suede, garment, lacing and a few others. it kinda depends on where you're gonna get the leather from as to what the place will call it. basically if it's thin and you like the way it looks, use it. I've gotten scraps to use and whole hides just because I liked the color. as long as a piece will yield the amount you need for what ever braid you decide on, I say grab it. and make sure ya post pics when it's completed! :)

Drac, The tutorial was fantastic but the finished product was totally impressive! I always find it amazing how some people pick up different things easier then others. (left/right side brain maybe?) lacing has always s l o w e d me down but you just breeze right thru it! :specool:

scouter

thanks! I came up with me way of doing the handles because I didn't want to try to take the time to practice doing it the traditional way until I got it right. *L* plus this way is actually so much quicker than the traditional way, way easier and ya don't have to worry about hand cramps! :thumbsup: with the turkshead, that's a different story! it took me a long time to figure those out. as simple as they are, they gave me migraines several times. I don't pick things up quickly at all. when I first started doing the turksheads, it would take me an hour to an hour and a half to do one and they wouldn't always come out correctly. now I've figured out a couple of tricks (like the part where ya make sure the front "V" lines up with the back middle strand after the thrid time around) and can do one in 20-25 minutes.

scouter

thanks! I came up with me way of doing the handles because I didn't want to try to take the time to practice doing it the traditional way until I got it right. *L* plus this way is actually so much quicker than the traditional way, way easier and ya don't have to worry about hand cramps! :thumbsup: with the turkshead, that's a different story! it took me a long time to figure those out. as simple as they are, they gave me migraines several times. I don't pick things up quickly at all. when I first started doing the turksheads, it would take me an hour to an hour and a half to do one and they wouldn't always come out correctly. now I've figured out a couple of tricks (like the part where ya make sure the front "V" lines up with the back middle strand after the thrid time around) and can do one in 20-25 minutes.

Nice job on the tut, Drac and that ain't a bad Turk's head. I'd like to encourage you to pursue knot braiding. You could make some

sweet looking pieces and they would command a little more in price. 2 reference I'd recommend getting:

Gail Hought's "The Art of Braiding" the basics-revised ed. and the Tom Hall series on Turk's heads. Execllent presentations.

Gary

drac, my heads still exploding over the turks head

Dont feel bad Roo. I'm still wrestling with it. If some one looked in my window it probably looks like 2 monkeys humping football.

I think I saw you through the window, and I feel the same way, but I have 3 monkeys!!

I just cannot get the Turks head. I have been working for two weeks on and off of course, but just cannot get it. I will not give up, and will get it, I know one day, it is going to snap.. or I am going to snap.. lol

I loved doing the handle, I was happy how it came out for the first of anything like this I have ever done. Also Drac's instructions on cutting the tails straight rock, I got really nice tails, and really nice handle, but no turk's heads yet..

Paul

Dont feel bad Roo. I'm still wrestling with it. If some one looked in my window it probably looks like 2 monkeys humping football.

2008_06_08_0501_edited_1.jpg

2008_06_08_0505_edited_1.jpg

post-6199-1212989841_thumb.jpg

post-6199-1212989858_thumb.jpg

Edited by Paulanator

so I decided to be even nicer with this tutorial and do up some "cheat sheets" for the handle patterns so they can be printed out. they're in jpeg format. once I get the time to refigure out the other designs I've lost, I'll add those too. enjoy!

candy_cane_and_diamond_copy.jpg

chaos_and_button_copy.jpg

checkerboard_and_tricolor_copy.jpg

double_and_tri_diamond_copy.jpg

post-5673-1213986812_thumb.jpg

post-5673-1213986825_thumb.jpg

post-5673-1213986837_thumb.jpg

post-5673-1213986846_thumb.jpg

AMAZING, AMAZING, AMAZING tutorial.Thank you for sharing.

With 4 pages of posts and comments I may have missed it...but what weight leather did you use in the tutorial pics?

Lady Evyl

think the leather I used for the tutorial is 3 oz., which is about average. if you use under 2 oz, it's best to add to the amount of tails. anything over 5 oz expect a HEAVY flogger or drop a few tails... or make a tawse. *L*

Thank you Drac for your time in posting these fantastic instructions! I'm just abeginner with leatherwork and am looking for all the good advice I can get. I love how easy you made the braiding, very good idea tacking it in place so it won't unravel while you work. Now I just have to figure out the Turkshead and I'll be making my own toys in no time!

P.S. Any suggestions where to look for instructions on the Turkshead? How many passes/bights do you use?

Edited by Wyldewomyn

wildewomyn

you're very welcome! this site is the best for learning leatherwork of all types. I put instructions for doing the turksheads on one of the pages of this tutorial. I think it starts on the second page. honestly, I don't understand all the passes, bights etc of doing turksheads. I gave meself migraines for a couple of years before I figured how to do just this one. *L* all I know is that as long as what you're trying to cover isn't a ball shape, the one I did for this tutorial will cover it almost no matter what the height and diameter are. there are others here that can tie other types of these things in their sleep.

Drac, whats wrong with you? You are actually using the word "I" instead of "me": me get it done; meself; etc....

LOL

ya know what wolvie? thppppt! :P I always "I". I just change the "y" to "e" in the words "my" and "myself" coz for some reason it's easier for me to hit the "e" instead of the "y". and it follows how I speak. and why am I typing this? am I that bored at work? yeppers! so, anyway, thppppt! again! :P LOL now then, you're fired. now get back to work.

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLGit back to work!LOL

ya know what wolvie? thppppt! :P I always "I". I just change the "y" to "e" in the words "my" and "myself" coz for some reason it's easier for me to hit the "e" instead of the "y". and it follows how I speak. and why am I typing this? am I that bored at work? yeppers! so, anyway, thppppt! again! :P LOL now then, you're fired. now get back to work.
LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLGit back to work!LOL

Greetings Drac,

Just wanted to say thanks so much for your wonderful instructions, the additions you added with the various braid ideas as well as how to do the dreaded turkshead are ingenious. I'm sure many of us would have spent hours trying to figure those out on our own. Seeing some of the pieces that people have done on round objects, tool handles etc, just makes my head hurt thinking about it;)

Look forward to seeing any of your future projects.

Keep smiling

Edited by Wyldewomyn

thanks wyldewomyn! me head kept almost exploding for a couple of years trying to figure out a proper turkshead so I'm glad me tutorial helps others. now I keep telling meself I'll figure how to do the turkheads that others use over round and odd shaped objects, but somehow I just never get around to it. I think it's me head kicking into self preservation mode! *L*

finally!!!tears of joy rather than tears of anger. i have been searching sooo long to find good instructions on how to braid the handle. >< >< ><...thats me jumping up and down ;) thank you so much for this. i am not nearly as good as many of you here...but i love working with leather and can only hope to get as good or close to as good as you all. now i just need some good intructions for doing leather corsets :s thank you again. by the way...Drac..what kind of work are you in???

flyingcuda

well, hmmm... trying to figure out how to answer that in a family friendly section! *L* actually, that should kinda answer it right there. :P

is there a different section where this can be discussed? ;) actually i read your leatherwork specialty so i have my answer. that is basically the reason i started into the leatherwork. hubby thought it would be a good way to make money. we have tried a few pieces and i did a carving in a neck piece. i am terrified of using the swivel knive so i do it without for now.i know i can't get the awesome effect without it, but i have to wait till i am comfortable with it. i really enjoy working with leather and hope to get better before my wonderful family's genetic ailments hit me..such as arthritis :( i have opened a small store...lingerie, adult novelties and of course my leatherwork. it is great because i get to work on the leather on my slow days. i can't say enough how thrilled i am that i tripped onto this site! you guys are great, i'm sure i will get better with the help from all of you. i plan on doing my flogger within the next 2 days...i will put up the pic when i finish...good or bad. again..thanks so much!

Edited by flyingcuda

glad to have you aboard then! this is a great, friendly site for learning about pretty much everything leather related. good luck with the store venture too! you'll get over the swivel knife fear, I promise. it took me 13 years of leatherworking professionally with me usual goodies before I tried tooling and molding. thanks to this site, I gained the confidence to add a new addiction, um... I mean aspect of leatherworking. *L* to get into the adult section just send johanna a message about it. looking forward to seeing your work, since we all looove pics around here! if there's a tandy near you, check and see if they have classes. most, if not all, do have little classes that you can take on things like tooling, lacing etc. and of course, if you have any questions about anything, feel free to ask here. someone will be able to answer it. it may take a day or 2 sometimes, but somebody will get to it. :)

Drac,

Thank you so much for sharing this!!! I'm amazed at your work man. now if i could only find enough time...

but i will use your wonderful tutorial one day soon.

Thank you again,

ken