Drac

Covering handles for crops and other items

thanks for the kind words on the tutorial. showing how I do these is much easier in person, I must say. glad i went in depth enough for everyone to understand.

spider

I'll post up pics of the other pattern templates I came up with in a couple of days so there's more handle braid choices.

so here's my templates for handle braids. thought I had one or two more figured out, but here's what I could find. they all use 1/2" wide strips except for the "button braid" which uses 3/4" wide AND 1/4" wide strips. with the "button braid" I usually use just 2 colors so the "buttons" really stand out, but it looks good with 3 colors also. have fun!

button braid

DSC_0001.JPG

checkerboard

DSC_0002.JPG

chaos braid

DSC_0003.JPG

candycane

DSC_0004.JPG

diamond or enclosed braid

DSC_0005.JPG

multi-diamond

DSC_0006.JPG

post-5673-1201290042_thumb.jpg

post-5673-1201290050_thumb.jpg

post-5673-1201290057_thumb.jpg

post-5673-1201290063_thumb.jpg

post-5673-1201290069_thumb.jpg

post-5673-1201290075_thumb.jpg

aaaaaand, here's how I do me turksheads.

things ya need. your handle with the base done and ready, lacing (I use about 7 1/2 feet of 3/16" wide lacing from tandy *item #55006-01*), small needle nose pliers, a fid (mine's an old screwdriver with the tip worn at angle. that comes in handy), gel super glue (more control with the gel type), lacing needle (I like the 2 prong ones) and scissors.

DSC_0001.JPG

after you've cut your length of lacing, put your needle on one end and trim it at angle on both sides like this

DSC_0002.JPG

put about 4 or 5 inches against the handle and hold it there, then loop the lacing around the base with the loop being across the top on the backside and crossing over your start on the front. the edge of the lace is usually against the edge of the base on the backside.

DSC_0003.JPG

make another loop around the backside, crossing over the first loop in the back (I'm lefthanded so my loop goes to the right), then run it under the first strand on the front.

DSC_0004.JPG

bring your strand around the back like you were doing another lop, but this time run it under the first strand before bring it back to the front.

*photo of backside*

DSC_0005.JPG

now finish bringing the strand around to the front and go OVER the first strand, UNDER the second strand, and OVER the third strand.

DSC_0006.JPG

at this point, I hold the piece up and make sure that the "V" that's now created is lined up to the center of the 3 loops in the back. if it's not, I take my fid and adjust the backside until everything's lined up. the previous picture was taken at a slight angle, but they lined up on the piece. that's a secret nobody else will tell ya. if they line up correctly, everything else is cake... mmmmmm... caaaake... *drool*

I find it helpful that as I'm making my loops over the edges to hold it there until I've gone under the next strand. when I go under a strand, I push the needle (before pulling all the way through) against the strand it's going to be right next to and pull through at a slight angle towards it too, sometimes using a finger or thumb to guide it and keep it there. also remember, turksheads are a self tightening knot. you don't have to pull real hard. just enough so your strands are a little snug and won't slide around unless you need to adjust them.

*CONTINUED*

post-5673-1201296289_thumb.jpg

post-5673-1201296297_thumb.jpg

post-5673-1201296303_thumb.jpg

post-5673-1201296310_thumb.jpg

post-5673-1201296318_thumb.jpg

post-5673-1201296327_thumb.jpg

keep going with the over one and under one (since that's the turkshead this tutorial is attempting to teach... and it's the only one I figured out :P ) until you get to this point. this point being you can only fit one more strand through. by now your turkshead should be tight enough and the strands close enough where you'll need to work your fid under a strand (from the opposite direction that the needle is coming in from) CAREFULLY. the is where that slight angle comes in handy on mine. you can also work the fid back and forth a bit if you need more room for the strand. once the needle is about halfway through you can also grab it with the needlenose pliers and work it back and forth a bit for extra room.

DSC_0007.JPG

now you've made back around to your starting point. oh no! what to do! turn the page, true believers and find out! or look at the next picture and read the text.

DSC_0008.JPG

pull the starting end fairly hard and cut it off as close as you can to the turkshead.

DSC_0009.JPG

heeere's fiddy! I think the picture kinda speaks for itself, so on to the next one.

DSC_0010.JPG

you guessed it!

*CONTINUED*

post-5673-1201298230_thumb.jpg

post-5673-1201298254_thumb.jpg

post-5673-1201298263_thumb.jpg

post-5673-1201298271_thumb.jpg

run your needle through right across the top of the strand you just cut.

DSC_0011.JPG

pull it through until there's a loop about an inch to inch and half big from top to bottom.

DSC_0012.JPG

now put a line of *look! down on the table! it's a bump! no, it's a lump! no! it's stuck to my hand!* super glue on the inside of the loop.

DSC_0013.JPG

pull it through quickly before it dries...

DSC_0014.JPG

tune in for the next post of how to make your head explode!

post-5673-1201298547_thumb.jpg

post-5673-1201298554_thumb.jpg

post-5673-1201298561_thumb.jpg

post-5673-1201298571_thumb.jpg

cut the strand off as close as you can while still pulling it tight.

DSC_0015.JPG

use your fib (he lies! it's a FID!) to tuck the end just a little bit back under so it can't be seen and press down on the top of the strand so it's even with the others. really messes with peeps when they can't find the overlap and the end. :evillaugh: make sure you do all the above bits quickly so the super glue doesn't dry before you get it done.

DSC_0016.JPG

now check the end and make sure everything's centered and even.

DSC_0017.JPG

voila! you be done, yo! at least with the end turkshead. to do the one for tails, you just follow all the steps above for the most part. one thing I've found that helps is to hold the tails instead of the handle, so you're making the loops around the handle. now then, love peace and chicken grease! I'm outee like 5! gonna get ghost! time to make a banana and leave!

post-5673-1201299064_thumb.jpg

post-5673-1201299075_thumb.jpg

post-5673-1201299085_thumb.jpg

Very thankful for this Drac....

Sorry I left you hanging last weekend... we finally got to the Convention center around 6pm due to traffic and all... then from there we went to Boomers in Marrietta... and stayed until 2:30 or so... didnt make it back home until around 5 in the morning...

wolvie no prob. you got home about the same I did from the regular job *L*

Editing title and moving to Braiding for a wider audience. Excellent job, Drac. Thank you thank you for sharing such a well explained and illustrated lesson!

Johanna

drac, your my hero, thanks

wowza! I started playing with braiding today, so I got a newfound respect for people that braid. much thanks to you for this very broken down, and illistated tutorial. this type of content is exactly what this website is all about. keep up the good work. of you get a chance or a wild hair, maybe another? hopefully you will inspire others to do tutorials on stuff that they do. this kind of stuff is what keeps the leathercraft alive and growing. :spoton: good job!

johanna

aw shucks! *L* I don't mind.

leatheroo

no prob.

duke

alas, my knowledge doesn't go too far past what I've posted up due to the nature of what I was making for a living, but thanks for the kind words! I usually just do slight to extreme variations with me work.

well its appreciated none the less. I took the time to copy and paste your tutorial to my desktop so I can sit and play with it and see if I can make myself one during a slow time in tandy land.yes,I work at tandy. needless to say, I wish there was more people out there willing to pass on thier knowledge. yours has been a needed blessing. I am going to have a blast making this flogger. and if it goes together as decently as yours(or somewhat close) it will go on display at my store with a web address to this site.I cant get over how helpful this site has been to me. THANK YOU!

Drac

Nice looking work. It's always nice to see other methods people use.

Thanks for sharing Mike

Drac, i did it, i did it!!! i now have a turks head on the end of my mallet! dinners burnt, kids are hungry but i have conquered the turks heads thanks to you!!!

leatheroo

:rofl::NEWFUNNYPOST:

yay! congrats! now me questions is... um... why on the mallet? is it to beat the hungry kids for burning dinner? *LOL* glad I was able to help. now if ya really wanna have your head explode, go look at victor's stuffses and try figuring it out. makes mine look like preschool knots in the hair. *L* oh yeah, and let's see some pics!

rawhide

thanks and no prob. your turn!

duke

nothing wrong with tandy in general or working there. from what I've heard toolers/carvers don't have any probs passsing along hints and tips, it's only in my line of leatherwork that no one likes to pass things on. this site is definitely a great thing! :) other than giving even more ideas, that is! *L* I'm sure you'll thoroughly enjoy making your flogger (including the hands cramping, picking up dropped tools, smashed fingers, poked hands) and it'll turn out great. pimp the site! *L*

leatheroo

:rofl::NEWFUNNYPOST:

yay! congrats! now me questions is... um... why on the mallet? is it to beat the hungry kids for burning dinner? *LOL* glad I was able to help. now if ya really wanna have your head explode, go look at victor's stuffses and try figuring it out. makes mine look like preschool knots in the hair. *L* oh yeah, and let's see some pics!

rawhide

thanks and no prob. your turn!

duke

nothing wrong with tandy in general or working there. from what I've heard toolers/carvers don't have any probs passsing along hints and tips, it's only in my line of leatherwork that no one likes to pass things on. this site is definitely a great thing! :) other than giving even more ideas, that is! *L* I'm sure you'll thoroughly enjoy making your flogger (including the hands cramping, picking up dropped tools, smashed fingers, poked hands) and it'll turn out great. pimp the site! *L*

drac, the mallet was the first thing i grabbed to practice on!!

Drac,

Thanks for the great tutorial! I'm glad it has been moved to braiding, I would not have seen it otherwise. I may need to get access to the grownup area as well.

While the kind of things you make aren't the kind of stuff I make, the braiding instructions you did have given me ideas for other stuff to do. COOL! B):rockon:

Thanks,

Nick

Drac,

Thank you SO MUCH for this wonderful tutorial! I've been staring at a blank dowel for about two weeks, trying to decide how to cover it for a very special mask on a longerette that I've been thinking about. If you're familiar with Siouxsie Sioux, it'll be based on a white face picture of her with a red feather on the side. This is the PERFECT way to finish this particular mask. After I figure out how to actually do it, that is. It'll be a birthday gift for my best friend : )

Very few people are willing to share that level of detail, I've found. I always tell people who ask how I do everything, and even show them the 'tools' which aren't tools that I use. I'm frequently criticized by friends for 'giving away too much information', but all of the images posted in this wonderful board prove that even working with the same medium - and often the same techniques - we all create our own unique items.

Thanks again!

Tammy

Edited by TCLeathercraft

Drac

I think I better get alot better for I try showing anyone how to do anything!! Maybe we can talk Victor into doing one!

Mike

grunt

that's the problem with this site, ya get too many ideas here! *L* still not sure if I'm comfortable with this being moved to braiding since I consider my way kind of cheating (it's simple and easy) and nowhere near on par with the rest of stuff in this section, especially since this is all I know how to do.

tammy

I'm VERY familiar with Souixsie starting from back in her punk days. she's a littled distanced, but a nice chic. Budgie's a nice guy too. you definitely need to post a pic up when you finish the mask! and it's better to have just friends say you give out too much info than other crafters you do events with side by side. although I have noticed they're more than happy to get the info too. they just don't want to share theirs.

mike

it's always good to post up early work here so that peeps can give you tips on how to improve something. and I would LOVE to see a tutorial done by victor. ya hear that victor? your turn! *L*

Hey Drac!

MANY THANKS for this great tutorial, I won't be using it in the near future but man I gotta tell you, I been dreaming for years about having a fishing rod tube in just this style so I saved this topic to the old photography HD and Yes I do run backups for sure on that drive so hopefully one day it'll come true, that is if it is possible to do it in a larcer scale.

That'll beat those all luxury-equipment-makes-me-better-than-you-fishermen with their aluminum tubes for sure :jump:

Tom

Drac,

you rock.. I have been wanting to learn how to finish off my floggers like that for a long time...

Thank you so very much, I really appreciate your willingness to share.

Paul

paul

no prob. it's what I do... sometimes. :P *L*