Sign in to follow this  
dragonwithane

S&w Model 60 Pattern

A buddy of mine liked the work I was doing making a holster for my single action revolver and he asked me if I could make a holster for his dad. His dad has a S&W Model 60. I am unable to get ahold of the gun for two reasons. The first is, his dad lives over 150 miles away. The second is, I live on a college campus and I am unable to possess a gun on the property. Does anyone have a pattern for this revolver that they would be willing to share?

Thanks,

Vince

The S&W Model 60 has been around for about 50 years. Basically a stainless steel version of the 'Chief Special' line of J-frame revolvers. You will need to find out if the revolver in question is the basic model (fixed sights), as some versions feature adjustable sights. Also the barrel length and profile may be an issue, as these were made with 1-7/8" standard barrel profile, 3" heavy barrel, 2-1/8", 2-1/2", and 3" barrels having several different profiles (underlugs, front sight ramps, etc), as well as others made in relatively short runs or special order production. Standard caliber was .38 Special for many years, but S&W has recently made quite a few in .357 Magnum caliber as well. Total production has run well into the millions, but not all are identical.

So, before you start patterning and cutting leather you will need to gather a little more information.

If your friend's father's Model 60 is the basic, standard piece you will find it listed by Rings Manufacturing (Blue Guns), and Rings also offers the 3" adjustable sight version with full lug barrel.

In my shop we use a couple of dummy guns as well as several actual revolvers to duplicate different varieties of J-frame revolvers. There are still a few that we can't do. Overall, holsters for J-frame S&W revolvers are a substantial portion of all holster orders. I can't think of a single production run in recent years that has not included at least one J-frame order, and usually several. Probably more of these handguns in use now than just about any others. A "must have" piece for the holster shop, in my opinion.

Best regards.

I have the standard chiefs special bluegun. I'd sell it to you if you're interested. I don't do revolver leather like I do autos. PM if you want it.