Well, I haven't made one of these in years, but here it is; a real simple, very plain, paddle holster. The customer is a retired female LEO, that carries this Sig P-226 in a CC purse. She'll use this thing about twice a year, when going to her old Dept's range, and is required to carry in an exposed holster. Her requirements were that it was to be plain, had to be able to put on without removing her belt (or anything), and not having anything that hooked, snapped or "anything like that to mess with". Just simple and quick. She said that she had seen something like what she now wants some years ago - - so I showed her a pic of an old-time paddle rig. She said that that was what she wanted - - and got. Hell, I coldn't find a rivet set to work with, and hadn't set a rivet in ten years. Mike

001a-2.jpg

003a.jpg

Sweet. How did you make the paddle? Is there any reinforcement in it?

No mike, it's all leather, similar to the early style, Here'a a pic of the top side where the paddle joins the holsrer. It's a lot heavier than those first ones from years ago were, actually, both sides are heavier. Mike

004a-2.jpg

Well, I haven't made one of these in years, but here it is; a real simple, very plain, paddle holster. The customer is a retired female LEO, that carries this Sig P-226 in a CC purse. She'll use this thing about twice a year, when going to her old Dept's range, and is required to carry in an exposed holster. Her requirements were that it was to be plain, had to be able to put on without removing her belt (or anything), and not having anything that hooked, snapped or "anything like that to mess with". Just simple and quick. She said that she had seen something like what she now wants some years ago - - so I showed her a pic of an old-time paddle rig. She said that that was what she wanted - - and got. Hell, I coldn't find a rivet set to work with, and hadn't set a rivet in ten years. Mike

001a-2.jpg

003a.jpg

001a-2.jpg

003a.jpg

Mike,

Even though you haven't set a rivet in years, you still ain't lost your touch. This is beautiful as always, love the color, the look and the construction. It's perfect.

Chief

Thanks Chief, your comments are always appreciated. When doing this one I had a devil of a time trying to find rivets and burrs, had to order them. In our modern age, the new, big "hardware"(?) stores that have mostly wiped out the little guy, only seem to carry nothing but 'pop-rivets', and the kids working in them didn't even know what the hell I was talking about when requesting assistance. I have found that it's a grin to find a small, well established old town while wandering the country, and just amble through the local, old-time hardware store. Of course my pleasures are generally small and simple. Mike

P.S. The color is Fiebing's dark brown around the perimeter, with a center of British tan. Shows a smooth and subtle transition in the sunlight, and isn't overly gaudy.

Edited by katsass

nicely done! I'm sure she'll be very pleased....

I would be very pleased with that rig. Mike your work is always excellent looking (and I would imagine functioning). I enjoy how your lined work doesn't ever appear overly bulky.

Mike, thats really nice work there. I'll bet that paddle is super comfy when it breaks in. Is the barrel end fully closed?

Nice one, kats.... Is the paddle 4 layers of 4/5?

Edited by SooperJake

Mike, that's just fantastic work. None of the recently popular "molded until you can read the serial #", but still good and snug.

I have a question about the rivets: When you use them on something like the paddle, do you find it makes a difference in the comfort dept. to have the burr on the inside vs. the outside? Or is it likely, since this is an 'open carry' rig that the layer(s) of clothing will prevent any discomfort from having the burr against the body?

I ask because I'd have leaned toward putting the burr on the outside so the flat base of the rivet would be against the body of the wearer, and wondered if it made a difference.

Beautiful work, Mike..I'm sure your customer will be very happy with it.. ;)

I'd only just sussed out yesterday, how a paddle works on a holster..it a real simple way of holding it.. :)

I'm thinking that it could be a good way of holding a knife case too. perhaps, though I've not seen one done that way yet..

I understand the pancake, but still can't grasp the other ones that have what appears to be snap on loops..lol

I have a quick question with regards to the dyeing process..do you dye with the British tan and then run round the edge with the Fiebing's dark brown afterwards, or vice versa?

Regards

Phil

Phil, typically (but not always) it's best to go with the lighter color first then apply the darker one over it. Using an airbrush REALLY simplifies the process of fading from one color to another.

There is something to be said of the clean lines on that holster. I like it a lot. Perfect stitching, of course.

Well done sir.

Phil, typically (but not always) it's best to go with the lighter color first then apply the darker one over it. Using an airbrush REALLY simplifies the process of fading from one color to another.

Thanks for that Mike.. ;)

I'll get my hands on some dyes first and one day I'll get to see what all the fuss is with the airbrush too.. lol

I will say, it looks real sweet on the fading.. :)

Regards

Phil

Good morning all. Thanks for the kind words, and I apologize for not getting back sooner. I got the holster done of Sunday afternoon (the 14th) And wasn't feeling too well, but delivered it to the gal about 6:30 that evening. She seemed to like it. Got up on Monday morn feeling like hell, called my doc but he was heavily booked, so, by around 10am, Ma Kat got hold of our son who ran me up to the E.R. Got in there, told them what I felt like and they slapped me in a chair, gave me an EKG - - and all hell broke loose. They stuck me in a bed, jerked my shirt off, poked a couple of needles in my tummy, and a big I.V. in my arm and called in a cardiac doc. Turns out that my ticker was going in and out of a-fibs for more than a week, and when my heart rate hit about 230, and with a low blood/ oxygen level, I finally quit rationalizing and decided that something wasn't quite right. Anyway, they kept me in there long enough for me to get real tired of a guy next to me (in the room they finally stuck me in) who had a hip replacement. He squalled and squawked day and night - - when he wasn't asking if I had a personal relationship with God. Well, my relationship(s) with anyone (including God) is my business, so after I told him that I was agnostic and prayed to old Ma Nature, he quit talking to me. By Wednesday I was feeling close to normal, even if there were a bunch of little bruises from I.V.s and semi permanent spots all over my chest from multiple EKG's. I saw the cardiac doc and he said things were pretty much back to where they should be - - and I should go home pretty quickly. I got dressed - which freaked the nurses out a bit, but I finally got out of there around 5:00 pm that evening. OH, and if you noticed, I refused to even think about the "food(?)"

I'll try to answer your questions in chronological order:

immiketoo; The holster has an open toe, as most all of mine do because, out here in the desert areas, dust and crud shows up down in there pretty easily - - and NO ONE ever cleans out the toe of a holster.

Jake: No, the paddle is 4/5 oz backed with a chunk of 12oz. then molded with alcohol. Seems to stay a little firmer that way. Also, there is a piece of 12oz stitched down to the outer layer of the holster itself (skived down on the edges) which improves the rigidity of the back of the holster where the paddle and holster join. (i think you can just see it in the pic) The 'inside' of the paddle, (that will go closest to the lady's firm, smooth, tend - -- uh, closest to her skin) is left with the flesh side out, so that it has a small amount of 'tooth' to help it hold firm.

002a-3.jpg

T.O.: I set the rivets that way so that there is no protrusion pointing towards the firearm. Even though the rivets are copper, and softer than the gun, I don't want them being able to scrub against the metal of the shooter. The flat side of the rivet is inset a bit, so it's smooth on the inside of the rig; the 'outside' burr is also inset so that the little 'bump' is as close to the actual surface of the leather as possible, and (usually) no one feels a thing - - at least no one has so far.

Horrrk: When I do a dye job like this, I dye the lighter color first, all over the flushdingering thing and allow it to dry, I then shoot a coat of pure neatsfoot oil on it (pure neatsfoot darkens less than neatsfoot compound) then immediately airbrush the darker surround. The oil seems to 'pull' the darker color just a bit to 'soften' the transition from dark to light.

Again, thank you all for the kind comments. Mike

Edited by katsass

"The 'inside' of the paddle, (that will go closest to the lady's firm, smooth, tend - -- uh, closest to her skin)"

LOL !

I am glad to see you are feeling better! :cowboy:

This is a very nice rig... I was thinking about trying my hand at making a paddle holster for myself for a quick and comfortable grab and go winter carry holster for my G26 and really appreciate all the info you are sharing.

Glad to hear you are feeling better. Ill bet you gave the nurses trouble. As my kids say to me when I visit the ER, "Cut that crap out". We need you here. Where would we be without a grumpy old man?

Take it easy and relax for a day or two. Glad you are back.

Michael

Edited by mlapaglia

Glad that you are out of the hospital Mike, and hope you have a speedy recovery...I wonder if "the lady's firm, smooth, tend - -- uh, closest to her skin" had anything to do with your heart going bonkers..lol...

katsass, I almost never reply to your post but I am inspiered by everyone of them to improve. This last holster is no exception, outstanding as always.

With that said I'm glad to hear that you are feeling better. The one thing I've learned from my short 56 yrs is listen to your body, it knows you better than anyone ever will.

Mike, glad you are back on here I always look forward to reading your posts. I am sure the hospital new they were in for it when you signed the hospital register the Grummpy Old Guy. Like the holster a lot.

Scott

Edited by camano ridge

Good to hear you're out and in 'back to normal' condition.

I can't help but wonder about that 'low oxygen' part....did they use the little 'clips on your finger' thing? If so, did you warn them that they were trying to measure O2 through several yards of callous?

Mike, Just be thankful they didn't have to hit you with those damn lightning rods. Your eyes go bloodshot to hell and your tongue turns black. Although you'd be all set for Halloween.

I think I'll make one of these for my XDM .45. Thanks for sharing the details.

Jake

Mike, Ya gotta take care of yourself! Never worry about delay in posts when your health is at stake. I will say you should get yerself an iPad or something if you really feel that keeping us up to date during heart issues is that important! Glad your back with us though!

Gentlemen, your responses to my 'return' to this forum REALLY humbles an old fart. I have never understood the 'social network' thing, in fact, it scared the hell out of me. I did register on Facebook one time because Ma Kat felt that it could be 'fun' to use it to enter a contest for something she felt would be of benefit to us - - through a Facebook link. The instant that I registered on Facebook, every swin ... uh,... person on my email list was notified that I was 'on' Facebook - - AND everyone on each of THEIR email lists was also notified of the same occurrence. It sacred the crap out of me - - talk about 'BIG-BROTHER!! I instantly DE-registered. In retrospect, I guess that this forum is also a sort of a social networking, although I always just thought of it as a place for me to add a comment of two about the few things I have learned over the years of butchering up chunks of dead cow skin. My comments were just in order to, maybe, give someone a hand, and never considered it in the manner of true 'socializing'. Your responses on here have given me insight (a bit) to the phenomenon, because, even though you don't know me from a blind hound's left hind leg, your responses feel sincere. For that I thank you all. Mike

Edited by katsass