Can anyone set me in the right direction by giving me some guidelines specific to this type of holster? I have made plenty of Iwb holsters. I have never attempted to make a closed bottom holster in the likes of this one before. The holster will be for a glock 30 which is very similar to the gun in the pic. Just think very fat and stubby. My problem is I don't know where to begin setting my margins for the muzzle in a holster of this type. The holster design will not be exactly like this but I do want it closed around the muzzle in a similar manner. The back of the holster will also be relatively flat, reminiscent of the modified pancake holster designs. Any help would be appreciated before I begin experimenting.

BTW. To give credit where it is due.. I believe the holster pictured is made by Brigade Gun Leather.

post-29778-0-21528700-1350357878_thumb.j

Edited by brathair

Treat the end of the muzzle just like the sides of the slide and use the same amount of space for the stitch line. This type of holster has a lot of forming to do, so plan on what you'll need to do to stretch the leather out. Don't wet the back side, or it'll stretch too.

In the one in the pic...It looks pretty obvious to me that the holster was formed around a mold. There's not enough detail in the muzzle end to indicate the gun/model was used to stretch the leather. Most likely, it was press molded, then stitched.

Thanks for the reply. I agree It looks like it was press molded. I was thinking right along the lines of what you said as far the spacing my only concern was the ability to stretch the leather enough. I thought about leaving more room to work but then considered that it might create (for lack of a better term) wrinkles or seams in the leather if I did. I think I might do just what you said and take the top piece and mold it then cut the outline for the holster out and glue it to the back and go from there.

Edited by brathair

If it is from Brigade, another image I found on their site makes it look like a facade bucket. Very thin leather.IMG_0451.jpgIMG_0456.jpg

Edited by JJLeatherworks

JJ, thanks for the post. Your right that does cast it in a little different light. That sure would be a lot easier than what I was thinking. I am going to have to do some experimenting both ways. I will have to post pics of what I come up with. And yes the leather does look a little thin. I usually use a 7/8oz on this type of holster which is thin enough.