Yanni

How To Make The Perfect Back Stitch

I'm trying to get a perfect backstitch for finishing the stitch but struggling to get the needle falling at the previous forward path. I'm using a walking foot flat bed machine( SEIKO LSWN-8BL)

I want to finish going backwards exactly above the previous stitch.

What is the best timing to press the reverse bar, when the needle is down and the presser feet are down too or when the needle is down and the feed dog is down while the presser feet are up?

If there is a video that would help, I've seen it on Cobra machines but mine hasn't got that particular function, I think it's called a versatile function or something like that where you can do perfect backtstitch in one move.

Edited by Yanni

i've noticed no one bit on this one.

try posting it n the leather sewing machines section. it'll prolly get a response.

I have had the same problem with my Seiko STH 8BLD. By adjusting the reverse stitch length I finally got it to reliably stitch back into the same holes. The problem I have is that the thread tension is just not the same back stitching as it is stitching forward. Perfect forward stitching tension produces a lousy back stitch lock on the bottom of the stitch. Adjust the tension to get a good back stitch and then it is too tight stitching forward.

I gave up because I was never happy with the stitch quality. Now on things where I want excellent stitch quality I just back stitch the old fashion way... turn the fabric. :surrender:

I know it sounds crazy having a fancy machine with a reverse lever but for me the best results are manual reverse. I do the same thing with my new Cowboy 4500 when stitching holsters because to me it suffers the same problem. The stitch lock on the bottom of the stitch is just not quite right when back stitching.

Maybe someday I'll get it figured out and it could be my pickiness is part of the problem too. I wish you luck.