doc45

Electric Tooling

I was looking at YouTube last night for any new ideas and/or tips and I saw a fellow using an electric tooling machine. It was about the size of a rotary tool but instead of spinning the tool, it used hammer strokes. Like a mini jack hammer.

I thought 'this is cool' an needs more investigation. After searching the net for about an hour, I gave up. So, my question is to all of you, have you ever seen anything like this? What is the tool called? Who makes it? The YouTube video is called "Fast Carving". The fellow is doing a Eagle.

Thanks in advance, Dale.

That looks to be an electric engraver of some sort, with a purpose built beveling tool. I don't see that the tip is interchangeable with anything else. Also, in the comments section someone pointed out that the leather wasn't cut....just beveled. Toss in the eventual nerve damage caused by having a vibrating tool in your hand and having only your hand pressure to get any depth, and it looks like a solution in search of a problem. Not that long ago, there was another video where a guy had modified a needle scaler (air tool) to do pretty much the same thing.

Yes, for a certain market like people with only one working hand or some other similar disability, it could have some merit. Or perhaps it would be a good tool for running long lines. But if you notice, the operator makes the outline, then has to go back over it to get any burnish in the tooling. Even with just a plain ol' wood mallet, I get that depth on a single blow. So while I'm only moving at 1/3 -1/2 that speed...or less...I'm only having to follow the pattern once. The operator is also using a beveler where a small pear shader should be used (nostril).

I'm not saying that there shouldn't be ANY innovation in the leather tools dept., I just thing that any innovations need to be able to improve on the current tools.

A very good example of this is the Tangleboss swivel knife. It's a new take on an old idea, and does have potential. But I see some places where the traditional knife is still going to out perform it. Is it a bad idea? NOT AT ALL. For most things, it will perform as well or better than the traditional knife...but then, that's just my opinion.

Anyway, back to the engraver tool thingy....It looks like a neat addition to speed things up, in a limited manner. I don't think it will replace traditional tools, and I can see the potential for making some mistakes with it. An old adage seems appropriate here: " Don't learn the tricks of the trade....learn the trade."

I think this is something akin to embossing, it's not art or craft. My Dad was a cabinet maker and when I would ask why he cut dovetail joints with a chisel instead of a jig and he mortise and tennon instead of biscuit joints, his comment (after he gave me a disapproving look over his glasses), was always, "A craftsman makes things with his hands, any fool can run a power tool." Now I use more modern equipment than he did, but I still think putting the tooling marks on the leather should be done by hand. JMHO.

Chief

I just had this conversation with my mentor yesterday. I told him that I believed that leather hasn't changed in hundreds of years, and that the techniques for working with it shouldn't either. It just seems to me that there is a RIGHT way of doing things and then there are cheats or shortcuts. Now, the reason things developed the way they did is because leather workers used what was available at the time, and perhaps had electric engravers been available we'd all be using them instead.

An exception to this is dyes and the application of them. I have little interest in making vinegroon and I am very fond of my airbrush. I suppose the same argument against using it could be applied as with the engraver, except that there is a tangible benefit and I believe it improves the craft, whereas the engraver doesn't seem to.

Odd, I just argued for AND against my own argument. I must need sleep...

It is probably made with a recipricating carver as used in woodworking. I made one 10 years ago and used it in classes as as demo.

The one I saw was made for a one armed leather worker. Unfortunately, 10 years of killing brain cells I don't remember the

source article. Much like the teflon easy beveler, it is only useful in long straight lines.

its called the Power Mallet...developed by a real nice fella...its a pricey rig but looks worthy

I believe every tool has it's use. The Power Mallet would be a good tool for someone not able to properly wield a mallet or someone who simply wanted to work faster.

I could also see someone more comfortable with dremel use having an easier time with one as opposed to a regular mallet.

Thanks for the input. I'm kind of a tool junkie and thought the tool was neat but I could see how it would help you to screw up really fast. Like others have said, I didn't see any other tool heads so I think it's use might be limited. Still, it still looks like a cool tool.

HELLO,

I PICKED UP SOMETHING SIMILAR FROM AN EBAY AUCTION. IT IS A LOT OLDER ONE THAN IN THE VIDEO. BUT LOOKS LIKE IT WORKS THE SAME. IT WAS CALLED A BURGESS VIBRO-TOOL. IT WAS ACTUALLY SOLD FOR LEATHER CARVING, WOODWORKING, AND METAL WORKING.

I was able to see Mr. Maxwell demo this tool at the Pendleton leather show. I placed an order but unfortunately had to cancel it due to family circumstances; but the tool is amazing. I have bursitis and carple tunnel in my hand, and I watched him work for over 1/2 hour. It was amazing. NOt only would it definately I believe help me, and help my pain issues...I will be getting one sooner or later.

For those who have a true physical need for such an item then the benefit is obvious. However, there are always those who are just looking for the next gimmick to make things faster and this is what you get.

Our craft is a true Artisan craft and it has been by hand for centuries, it is not time to change it just to change it. The quality that is achieved by performing ever step by hand (to include dyeing and so on) can not be matched through the use of machinery.

Machinery and shortcuts are for the hobby branch or mass production lines, a craftsman is neither.

Just my $0.02 worth.

There's an ad for it in Shop Talk. Its base price is 700.00. It would be good for someone physically unable to use a mallet. Maybe someone could use or modify one of those battery powered hammers that sears sells. I'll personally be sticking with a mallet as long as I can.

Woodcarverssupply.com in Florida sells a unit that will do the job of powercarving. I have one of the machines but have never used it. It has three types of head attachments. Reciprocating carver, standard chuck for bits up to 1/4", and memory fails me about the third head. Will have to check it out next time I am able to go to the shop.

Thought it might come in handy but have not decided what I can do with it at the moment.

I have always been a tool fanatic so this fit the bill, at the time I saw it. lol.

Ray

What you are looking for is a tool system called Power Mallet. The web site is http://powermallet.com/ . I hope this helps tyou, however ths setup costs Not quite $1,000.00 US. So it is not cheap, but if you look at the componets you might be able make someting simaler for less. He is using a motor, flexshaft, and speed control form Foredom Electric Co. web site http://www.foredom.net/ . The kit come with Foredom LX Flex Shaft Motor (5,000 RPM 1/10th HP), Foot Pedal, Desk Top Control unit. And what looks like a Pneumatic Reciprocating tool head. But Foredom also sells that type of tools. try looking at the H.15 Handpiece has hammering rather than rotary action for use at low speed (0-5,000 rpm) 6-1/4" long, 1/4" dia. at tip, wt. 3.65 oz., ship wt. 4.85 oz.

I bought an ancient dremel style engrave/embosser from ebay. Renewed the 50 year old wiring, and gave it a go.

It seemed to work ok, but too noisy for my liking.

Hello there,

I found the 'power mallet' on YouTube.

I was exited for the possibility to stamp my leather one handed..then the price put me off!!

I and practicing with my disabled left arm, not with success.

More research needed I'm afraid..and work out the advanced buying the power mallet.

Kind regards

Brian

I looked into the idea of converting an air compressor powered descaler tool into a leather tooling thingy, just out of curiosity.

Again, it's the noise which put me off going ahead and trying it.

lol,

ive got 200l petrol compressor...bet her in doors will love that!

ATB

Bri

Hi I found the name,it's called Power Mallet.com,check it out,I think I'll be pretty cool to use that,except for the price,the whole kit is a 1000$....  :((

I have looked at the power mallet myself.  I have the power source so my investment would be the 700.00.  That kind of throws me off but not so much the artistry of the craft.  I kind of look at it like this.  The Michael Angelo was a great sculpture.  He did his work with a hammer and chisel..why...no jackhammers at the time.  It's a personal choice but it doesn't eliminate the artist, but enhances his art.  I have talked to some fantastic saddle makers who are great artist and many look at it as a time saver.  They make their living by making beautiful saddles so quicker is better.  I would think if you carve leather poorly, even with a power mallet it would be poor, just a bit better...Isn't art kind of a personal thing anyway? 

I just love all of the comments about this being an ancient craft, yet we use the internet instead of carrier pigeons to communicate with each other.

How far back do we need to go in order to honor our tradition? Electricity has been available for 100 years, so why not use a labor / effort saving electric mallet? The only one inconvenienced is the leather worker whose power goes out.

I have some disability in my right hand/arm I have had a standard arbour press adapted with holes to allow pricking irons and stamping tools to be inserted and held with grub screws. Not quite what the op had in mind but it might help others with similar issues. 

I see both sides of the argument but for me, the hobby worker, I love the fact that I'm leaning something that hasn't changed that much in hundreds of years. It's a zen thing for me.....even tho I swear and rant at the leather some days!

I have trouble understanding the word "Traditional", What century does it apply to, 1900's, 1800's, 1100's are sewing machines acceptable if so what about the modern pre programed ones, do you use modern methods of making leathers or make your own dye's, use modern information to learn the skills

Life is sure full of conflicting ideas