dfivdayz

Making A Chef's Roll

hey everyone,

i've got a new project that i've never taken on and i need some advise..i am wanting to do a chef's roll for three knives and a strop and im not sure of what kind of leather to use?..i started the project with some 3-4oz vegtan but it has ended up just being to thick in my opinion when you try to roll it up..i would like to keep it light and easy to make...any suggustions welcome...

thank you...

Try a thinned oil tan, split suede or even chrome tan. They will provide more flexibility for transportation & space. Also, try and Google the product to see what you got yourself into here.

Tandy recently had some nice heavy suede split, deertan cowhide comes to mind also as a good choice.

Kevin

Depending on where, or how it is used, cleaning it may be an issue to look into.

How about thinner and softer vegtan? I just got vegtan goat hide from Tandy which is quite thin and soft. It's discontinued so the price was good.

I used to work part time as a sushi chef and used small towel to wrap around my knives when took them to work. If the knives are not kept in sheaths (mine are kept in wood covers), tip of the knives can pierce into the flap of the roll case. I also have a roll case from Global and have that problem with yanaki knife. For cleaning issue, I always clean all knives well (and sharp) after work before put them back into the case. So I never have to clean the case.