abn

Tandy's Wholesale Club: Doing The Math

I checked with our local manager and he said that they had discontinued the "free tool per month" some time ago. The deals and bargains you get are what comes in the flyers. What is little know is that each Tandy Manager has the ability to discount an item as a "Manager's Special", my guy works with me and usually gives me at least one each trip. You can't get them with Web Orders but you can in the store, depending on the store manager.

Chief

Thanks Cheif, I will discuss this with the local Tandy Manager. Anything to help the bottom line.

No, price gouging is pretty much always on purpose. You can't really accuse people of wrong doing on "accident". It doesn't work like that. Either the prices are fair or they're intentionally unfair. There are laws against price gouging. You might have a case here. All we have to do is prove Sandy had an effect on the leather market. If they're stealing from you then you can take them to court or at least complain and get your discount faster. I personally don't think they're illegally profiteering off of one guy in Texas but who knows right? Maybe it's just a single store that's gone rogue?

Post your receipts and give us the store name and we'll get you straightened out. Why anyone would accept price gouging (illegal in many states by the way) and still shop with a company is honestly beyond me.

I personally haven't gotten the wrong pricing apart from the one issue I mentioned which was fixed within an hour of me noticing it. Unless of course you count the time the manager noticed my gold price was higher than his store special and happily changed it to his price instead.

There is literally no case of incorrect pricing that can't be dealt with through a simple phone call or email. You're advice seems a tad over the top. You may as well tell them to check that their wallets are still in their pockets when they leave the store.

@Ash: all you have to do is go into the store and you can ask about your free tool. It is one tool per month and you must be a member of their wholesale club. You may substitute the tool for a craftaid template as well. The free tool also applies to their 2-D and 3-D stamps.

Thank you... the problem is that I'm a online customer, since I'm from Italy where no TLF stores are available... so what to do?

I just received a Tandy 'Members Only Specials' mailer that contains a coupon for one free stamping tool.....expires 1/15/13. - John

I just received a Tandy 'Members Only Specials' mailer that contains a coupon for one free stamping tool.....expires 1/15/13. - John

Same here. Free Craftool Stamping tool, does not include Craftool Pro Tools. Offer expires 1/15/31. So far I've seen them about every 3rd month. With Free $5 and $10 at Leathercraftlibrary.com in between. For those of you who have their managers say they won't honor the free tool... I would be tossing a walleyed fit.

I have the elite and with my purchase of a side and some hardware i needed today at the cost of $370 I only paid $260. That's a savings of $100+ on one visit! I have been an elite member since January of last year and I would estimate that it has saved me well over $1000+ over the last year. I would strongly reccommend this elite membership to those going through a side a month or chap makers in particular. My first purchase with my elite membership last year saved me more than the cost of the elite membership ($150) so how could I turn that down. This plan might not be the best for hobby crafters but for my business that centers around chaps, tack, and holsters saves a lot with this program.

I'm not a fan of Tandy tools (don't be naive, some of the tools you buy elsewhere came from Tandy), but I get wholesale pricing just for having a registered business in Iowa (no membership fee). I buy quite a bit of leather there, but only if I can get there to pick it out myself. There Royal Meadow 3/4 oz is nearly flawless in a 22-25 foot side, carves well, and dyes just as nicely. It's a bit more 'blonde' than the 'russet' color you get lots of places, but I LIKE the pale color (lets me get more color combinations).

Dyes, finishes, adhesives, and most linings I get from S-T Leather out of St Louis.

I second these statements. I don't really like Tandy products at all, but with a few exceptions. They've disappointed me too many times. Anyway, with a seller's permit you don't pay taxes upfront for your materials (with the understanding that you will collect taxes from your customers when selling your finished goods) and many suppliers offer wholesale or reduced pricing.

Registering for a seller's permit here in California took no longer than 10 minutes and I was able to print the official permit out at home in the same sitting. I brought this to Tandy and I now get pricing at or lower than Elite pricing, with no annual membership fee. If you don't have or want to bother getting a permit for yourself, you can use a business owning friend or family member's permit. Just present the document at the counter.

Edited by KS Orozco

Question for KSO. Dont you have to now file quarterly tax returns as a reseller? I am in Cali and figured reseller has other fees and consiquences. Eagerly awaiting someone who knows more than i.

ive been a gold member for around 3 years and have bought many tools and supplies from tandy.

its easy to spend $200+ a year, because leatherworking isn't cheap. so 18-20% savings is worth it.

hell, buying a double shoulder is around $100.

i've never had any issues with their item quality, but i have had issues with their customer service in the past.

in the past they have sent the wrong items, or missed items on my order.

for me, being a tandy gold member is a no brainer, and i will continue being one. :)