sprockett

Making Of Leica Hermes Bag Video --> I Dont Understand Some Steps

Please check out the above video showing some of the process of making the Leica - Hermes bag

at 0:09 --> What are they doing? Is it just bevelling the edges?

at 1:20 --> Something is being brushed on the edges of the leather, followed by application of heat. What form of burnishing is this? I am used to seeing traditional wax / gum trag burnishing (lots of rubbing).

Hope to get some advice from the gurus here. Its my dream to make something as high quality as a hermes bag.

THanks!!

I can't recall the specific name of the tool, but it's basically an iron. They use heat to help form the edge . You can see a similar application here

at around 5:24. The cobbler is using heated tools to melt the wax into the leather, burnish, and make what I'd call embossing lines.

As far as the edge wipe...I'd guess some type of edge seal...maybe wax based. The iron's heat helps seal and burnish it.

For all I know it's some type of thermal resin. Being a purse, it's likely chrome tanned leather, so edge appearance is probably more important than sealing against water.

The tool is a leather pyrography tool made by a French company, Regad. You can purchase them here. http://mando.fr/fr/1...teuse-manuelle.

Here's an older post on the tool that includes another video. http://leatherworker...opic=38750&st=0

It's used on edges, drawing on leather, heat embossing, and making creases. I think a basic system starts around $800 dollars.

Cheers.

Edited by Lippy