Helsing

Carving "old Stuff"?

So far everywhere I have read tells me that for good carving and tooling I need undyed, veg tanned leather.

I watched an interview with Al Stohlman on youtube and apparently he made a fully carved leather jacket during his army days in the pacific and later made some money buying saddles at an auction, tooling them and selling them for a profit.

My question is, can I carve and tool old things like knife sheaths etc. that have already been dyed and used and possibly oiled and if so, are there any tricks to use?

Buying an old saddle and carving it would be a great project when I am good enough.

Also, is there a way to tell if you are holding a piece of veg tanned leather och chrome tanned?

Cheers

/Helsing

I'm not sure I would want to carve old things. I have used pieces upcycled from boots etc., before. I learned from Katsass here that chrome tanned has a faint bluish grey line on a cut edge. Veg tan is pretty much the same color all the way through.

From the grump; The only pre-owned items I have, or even would, work on were rough-out saddles, on which I did some inverted carving and dye work. They came out pretty well, and my customers were happy, But for the normal carving and tooling I just don't think that a used and worn-in saddle would end up worth a damn. To much saddle soap, oil, and horse sweat in them - - and a finish coat of (usually) lacquer on top. JMHO Mike

Edited by katsass

Also, if you can take off a small piece, veg tanned leather will instantly shrivel up when dropped in boiling water chromed tanned will not. Don't know if that helps.

Thank you for your tips!

I guess I will try something old just to see for myself how poor it is.

Perhaps Mr Stohlman bought new, but plain saddles?

Helsing, I say try it. What's the worst that can happen? You may end up with something awesome, or you may end up with crap. Either way, you'll end up with experience which is valueable in and of itself.

Helsing, I say try it. What's the worst that can happen? You may end up with something awesome, or you may end up with crap. Either way, you'll end up with experience which is valueable in and of itself.

:16: I agree.. The worst that can happen is that you're down a few Krona.. ;)

You never know, it might be a nice little money spinner for you.. ;) Don't forget to post pics of the end result.!!

Regards

Phil