Maybe this is a stupid question, but is it possible to use testors model paint on leather? I have some knotwork on a pair of bracers that I'd like to accent, but I'm wondering about the long term effects on the paint or the leather itself. Is it possible? Is it too easily damaged?

I think the problem will be that it will harden (or has a hardener in it). The first time you bend it, I think the guy across the street will hear the crack.

You really want to use a flexible acrylic. The fabric paints are probably a better choice.

The hardness of it is one issue the other is that it's too thick to penetrate into the leather and really get a good hold on it. One of our members, Tina, had some success using artists' oil paint, but it's got a LONG drying time.

If you use acrylics, you'll need to apply in multiple thin layers instead of one thick coat or it will crack and peel as well.

What color did you want to use anyway?

My other half, painted her leather jacket, years ago with Humbrol enamel paints. A design and some lettering.

It's still there but looks like crazy paving and matches the rugged biker jacket to a tee. ;)

I definitely wouldn't use it on anything that you wish to look pristine..but they can be used..

Hope that helps

Regards

Phil

I need gold paint. I tested it on a piece of leather and it didn't adhere at all, really. There's another antiquing paste that I've used before, I just wanted to test out something I had on hand.

Just a thought, but did you wipe the leather down with some type of alcohol first? It may help it stay on..worth a try perhaps..

Regards

Phil

Try Precious Metals Leafing Finish. Seems a lot of hobby stores carry it. It is water based, low odor, and I've had pretty good luck with it on leather as long as I use very thin layers and build up.

One of our members, Tina, had some success using artists' oil paint, but it's got a LONG drying time.

You remeber my little experiment, I'm impressed :-)

I can tell that around 4 years later the piece is still as if I painted it yesterday and I Love the result...Just wish it would (as you point out) dry quicker.

At a similar hobby shop or (board) gaming store that sells the miniature battle sets you can find acrylics by Citadel, P3 and Game Works. All three make a full range of metallics including silver, gold, brass, lead and a few others. I use them often on motorcycle tank and fender bibs and I can say they are awesome. Great color, adhesion and UV resistance. My preference is the Citadel brand but I've used the other two as well with great success. Here are a couple of pictures of pieces with metallic accents using these paints:

Flag pole done using Citadel "Red Brass"

post-10543-0-50697100-1351870979_thumb.j

Brass Ring done using P3 "Brass Balls"

post-10543-0-05845600-1351871044_thumb.j

Pistol bodies done using Citadel "Mithril Silver" over "Leadbelcher"

post-10543-0-34132400-1351871190_thumb.j

Unfortunately they don't show the metallic "shine" due to phone cameras/non-optimal lighting but they all have a great luminescence & light to them when the sun hits them.

Cheers,

Chris