LairdM

Cutting Wavy Edges

Hi,

New to the forum and getting back in to leather work after a long while.

Tried searching but this forum is a bit too big for my question to bring back the result I want...

I'm making a leather dress sporran and in place of the normal metal cantle, I'm doing a fake leather cantle.

A cantle is a metal frame, a bit like around the top of a ladies coin purse.

And my question is, I want to make the outher edge of the cantle scallopped, but when I try this on test pieces, I don't get a nice even edge.

Any one got any suggesstions or ideas please?

They sell a wavy blade for the rotary cutter at the fabricstores . Use the Olfa model as it holds up better . Heads up to all people using the rotary cutters the blades will not interchange from model to model . Pecker woods went propitery on the shaft thickness so blades wont cross from one model to another . You have to buy the blade for your model . Hope this helps . Bill

Another possible solution: get a round punch that has an inner diameter that is the size you want the scallops to be. Use a grinder or a file and grind half of the punch away at the tip. You will be left with a semi-circular punch that is really good for making scalloped edges.

Bob

Thanks guys.

I've actually found a DAFA 28mm rotary cutter with a scalloped blade, lurking in a box in the loft. I think I'm gonna hve to upgrade to a 45mm so that I can get the pinking blade for future projects.

I'll post images of the finished sporran as soon as I can find the lead for the camera.

im interested to see the leather cantle as i dont bother with cantles on my sporrans