I bought an old secondhand leather sewing machine (an Adler 169) and all's right except the marks that makes the pressing foot: it's a little wheel with a graven impressed (I think it's for pull the leather better) BUT this leaves marks on the leather. If I got down the pressure doesn't sew good because not drag the work.

The problem:

post-36104-0-23705300-1351848523_thumb.j

The guilty:

post-36104-0-14131000-1351848521_thumb.j

That only happen significantly in cow leather, but is the one I want to sew. There's any trick to avoid it? Or you know if a teflon wheel exist? Or something to do after in the leather to eliminate or dissimulate?

Please, any idea will help! Thanks a lot!!

Greta

The sewing machine folks will be along some time today to say what kind of wheel you can get....but for now, you can try rubbing out the marks with a modeling spoon or anything that is flat. Moisten the leather, and rub the marks with the smooth tool, then allow to dry.

Take the wheel off and make one or have somebody make one for u on a wood/metal lace out of wood or soft plastc!

You could buff the existing wheel down, so it wont have so sharp inprints....a wheel like this always will make a slight print in veg tan leather....

May call Bob Kovar, he might have smoot wheels....

James

You can try taking some of the pressure off the roller foot, I believe there is a long flat piece of steel on top of the machine with a knurled knob that you would unscrew to lessen the pressure. The Adler 169 also uses feet, a smooth set would not leave marks.

Hi Greta,

This subclass of the 169 do not use a foot. You can do as James suggested, buff off the sharpest edge of the wheel since it has no feed on it. Get a rubber band around it or change the wheel to a teflon wheel. You can ask for help on your Adler here too http://sew24.blogspot.no/p/downloads.html this blog is runned by Thomas Brinkhoff head of Dürkopp Adler spare parts. He knows what is available for your 169 subclass, and he is a very helpful person. Wet the leather as Art suggested and hammer the seam with a smooth faced leather hammer will remove those marks (and close your stitches)

Good luck

Trox

Thanks TwinOaks, Jimbob, Tnawrot2 and Trox !!

In the first place I turned down the pressure and, doesn't sew as well as with more pressure, but I can control the work and it leaves less marks. Then I tried to rubbing out the marks with some water drops and the edge of my burnishing tool and the marks dissapear but, of course, appears a shining line... that looks better! :D

For now I will work this way but searching for a best wheel or foot for my adler: (that is no triple, but double feed and it has only one bar for the feed... I think one old owner change parts and things and now isn't all original ) >:(

I'll continue investigating! but sewing leather meanwhile :) Thanks a lot guys!

Greta

Some tape or nail polish lac on the wheel will work too.

Trox