LairdM

Cutting Circles

Ok, search results came back with too many hits, so...

For a new sporran I'm making for a friend, he wants a 'targe' decoration.

What is the best way to cut a circle of leather? Would a compass cutter do? I tried tracing around a rond cookie cutter, but it didn't work very well...

The only problem with the cutters is they leave a spot in the middle of your circle where the pivot is. Or the one i used did anyway. Try a plate the same size or close the size you want ( turn it upside down ) when you mark the circle of try to cut it and you will have to hold it down.

Hi Laird. I have the same problem so a friend of mine showed me this.

http://www.amazon.com/Pickett-Temp-Circle-Radius-Master/dp/B000HF0KBM/ref=pd_rhf_ee_p_t_1

I ordered one, just came today so I haven't had a chance to use it yet. Hope this helps. Cheryl

Dirtclod: Yeah, last time I used mine, wherever it may be hiding, it did leave a pin prick, but that would be covered by a rivet. Didn't think about using a plate or similar and holding it down...

Double C: Just checked Amazon Uk and they have them for about £7 ~$11, so might treat myself for Xmas...

Hmm, replacement blades on evil-bay, Amazon, numerous craft stores, but no-one seems to either sell the tool or have it in stock...anyone coming over from the US to the UK soon? :lol:

If the center will be covered, chances are the center will need to first be located and marked. Marking/cutting with a compass would be the absolutely best way of locating the center of the circle. Otherwise, anything round and about the right size could serve as a template and in many cases as a cutting guide. In the case of a targe with center medallion some form of compass/trammel would be my first choice.

A trick to use with a compass is to tape a scrap of leather down in the center with blue painters tape. The scrap takes the mark and the tape pulls off cleanly afterwards.

Do your circles the easy way, go to a custom picture frame shop and most of them have oval / circle cutters and it will cut leather like butter. I use mine all the time to cut circles and ovals. Most frame shops have now gone to computer mat/cutters and nolonger have any use for their old manual ones and will sell them at a good price. I must still have 5 or 6 of these machines and will sell all of them.

Regrds,

Bill

Anyone tried putting a scrap piece down in the middle? It would leave a mark on the scrap and not on the finished product.

The only problem with the cutters is they leave a spot in the middle of your circle where the pivot is. Or the one i used did anyway. Try a plate the same size or close the size you want ( turn it upside down ) when you mark the circle of try to cut it and you will have to hold it down.

When I cut circles I put the pin in the back of the leather and cut from the back.

When I cut circles I put the pin in the back of the leather and cut from the back.

Do you get any issues with being able to tell that you cut it from the back.Say like, the edges flare upward when looking at the face of the leather.Just curious

Thanks

I make a lot of coasters and before I got my clicker I always used a

post-15330-0-66844700-1353314824_thumb.j LION EV-R-Round Circle Cutter. Capable of cutting circles

from 3/4 in. up to 6 3/4 in.

I found this to be the easiest and fastest way to make a whole lot of rounds. If your pattern

covers the center then there is no problem with a pin mark. If the pattern does not cover the center

then Bruce Johnson's solution sounds Really Good to me. Very clever!

BTW - I did some price checking and they are about $31.49

DO NOT buy one from Amazon - their price is Way Way too expensive. Outrageous!

Edited by LNLeather

I second Lion's circle cutter, I've been using that one for over a year and it works well. My only gripe about it is that the measurements are all in metric, which isn't a big deal.