thehickeys

Starting Paracord Mecate

Hi, I am actually just finishing a set of paracord mecate reins, the problem is, I started them 8 years ago!

I would like to start another set but can't remember how much line to begin with in order to finish with 22' braided, also, what to use for a core in order to achieve 9/16" diameter.

How to finish the reins I'm working on; I did a set a long time ago and burned the end, running a leather popper through, but it's not very pretty.

I'm glad I have found this site, just became a member, and am now looking forward to some guidance:)

SMH

If you go to the site www.ubraidit.com. they have the information you are looking for on mecates. They also sell parachute cord. Good luck

OK so I heard back from U braidit and just wanted to post it for those interested.

Now I see that people have the end of the cord braided nicely into itself; I've just burned the end but would like to see how to braid it neatly.

Formula as follows:

No matter how many strands you will be braiding, you always 4x the desired finished length (assuming the cords are doubled over each other—4 strands doubled for an 8 strand). So for a 22 foot mecate math is as follows: 22 feet x 4 = 88 feet per strand x number of strands (4) = 352 feet total. Don't forget to include about 10-12% per strand before pre-shrinking your cord (about 10' extra). This may seem like a lot, but much better to have more than not enough when you get to the end. So you will need about 98 feet per strand.

I'm not certain what I would suggest for the core. You might need to play around with this. A wider piece of rope might work, but keep in mind that this will affect the drape of the mecate as well.

I braid mecates quite a bit. I wouldn't worry about burning the end, Double Diamond burns there's and Buck B. uses them. I use a wood burning tool with the chisel point and burn the end conical shaped. 2 strands of para cord or a 3/16 strand of nylon cord will get you 9/16 on a 12 strand. So far (for me) I have not pre-shrunk the cord. I braid just snug and I don't reef on each strand like a reata or something. Just give each strand a slight tug BEFORE you bring it around and hold the rest between your other thumb and index. I braid 23' for a 22' because it will "relax" a little when you are done braiding, then over the next year they will tighten up as they get horse sweat,rained on, and grime. I have experimented quite a bit on the horse hair shoo fly and have settled on my way to do it. U Braid it's instruction didn't work for me on that part. For a regular knot to finish I used to do a heel knot like a bosel out of the ends and then take a strand or two of para cord and braid a pineapple knot over that. Buck B. showed me how to braid the Gaucho out of the ends like his and that works out pretty cool. Good luck

Edited by barbiesdude

Hi, could you please tell me what do you use for a core of paracord mecate to give it that right feel? Or doesn't matter what material it would be? Thanks :) B

Edited by Bejush

On 8/7/2023 at 10:40 AM, nottatrace said:

Have gotten into the braiding and have that down. But how do you all switch colours to do ombre combinations??

Cut the burned end off the cord

pull the outer jacket back and expose approx 3” of the inner strands

do this on both pieces you wish to join

singe the ends of both pieces and butt them together at the same time roll the connection between your thumb and finger to shape it round

pull the outer sleeve bak over the splice

Just now, Frodo said:

Cut the burned end off the cord

pull the outer jacket back and expose approx 3” of the inner strands, cut off an inch,

do this on both pieces you wish to join

singe the ends of both pieces and butt them together at the same time roll the connection between your thumb and finger to shape it round

pull the outer sleeve bak over the splice