Ran

Special Order Iwb Holster

Shipping this one out tomorrow to a customer with special needs. This gentleman had been looking for a holster maker who would/could accommodate his need for an 'open palm' draw grip IWB holster that he could wear at roughly the 5 o'clock position (or near 'Small Of Back'...SOB). He has an old shoulder injury that makes it difficult for him to draw from the conventional 3 or 4 o'clock, 15-20 degree cant position. He also wanted a thumb break because he (like me) prefers the added security of a strap blocking the hammer on his fullsize 1911.

This was a challenge to design and build because one must reach a compromise between achieving a comfortable cant while at the same time allowing enough room for his fingers without either pinching them between the holster and grip, or ending up with the pistol's grip below the belt line. It was especially fun working with this gentleman in designing the piece, and it was rewarding to hear him say, "I think I found the right guy."... icon_smile.gif

IMG_3975.jpg

IMG_3973.jpg

I only just started leatherworking a few weeks ago, so I'm sure I'll get better as time goes on and I learn from experience. I'm a LONG time woodworker/cabinet maker/furniture builder, and I have found some similarities in the leatherwork world.. Fun stuff!

Awesome design! Looks well done and secure too

After only working with leather for a few short weeks, you did an AMAZING job.

Looks great! I'm sure he'll be pleased with it!

Excellent work!

Please check your PMs, I have some added thoughts to share.

Looks good Randy....coming along nicely!

Nice work .

Chris

Those belt clips I have seen different kinds at Tandy's. I used those on my holster, works pretty good.

I think you have a winner there....very nice

I concur with your observation about the similarity of leatherwork and woodwork...plus many of our tools serve double duty!

Craft is craft, afterall.

Nice Work.

Nice workmanship!

The concept has a couple of safety issues, though. Visualize the draw stroke all the way from grip while holstered to the on-target position, and you'll see what I mean.

Nice workmanship!

The concept has a couple of safety issues, though. Visualize the draw stroke all the way from grip while holstered to the on-target position, and you'll see what I mean.

I agree with you, Big O. As a daily CC guy, this is definitely not the way I'd want to carry a pistol. I was only accommodating the customer's request. Honestly, even though I own a fullsize 1911, I wouldn't consider carrying it on a daily basis. Just too big and heavy for me..

Ran nice job on that holster! . I agree with the tool observation,cabinetmaker for 35 years among all the other ,stuff full size mills lathes welders , somehow in some unspecified or unknown way , whatever i get into the tools show up. fun ha