Hi all

Thanks so much for all the info on this site. I've already learned so much from the pinned posts about leather sewing machines. Really great resource there. Unfortunately, I still need a bit of advice so I thought I would post on here.

I'm looking into buying my first industrial leather sewing machine. I'm very excited! The machine I'm currently looking at is the Highlead GC2698-1 with a compound feed walking foot and a narrow cylinder arm. I don't require the binder feature on this machine. The supplier I'm looking at is Braithwaites in Manchester (http://www.highlead....ead-GC2698.html). They appear to be the Highlead contact in the UK and I've had a few quotes from them.

Essentially, I want this machine for light to mid-weight leather. I don't plan on sewing anything incredibly thick on it (i.e. no thicker than 0.5mm), nor do I plan on using too thick a thread or needle. I want it for making ladies leather handbags and clutches, thin belts and straps. It won't be getting a lot of use daily as, unfortunately, I will only be able to sew after work or on the weekends. It just has to survive light to moderate use, not a production style environment.

My reasons for looking at the Highlead machine are partly that it fits within my budget and partly that because it will be new, I will have a guarantee and someone who can service it for me if anything goes wrong. Since I'm still a novice user of industrial machines, I think I will need the free support that this machine will give me. I would love an Adler or Seiko but for a machine that will see such a light amount of use, I just can't really justify the cost right now. Maybe one day, when I'm rich from selling my handbags, I'll splash out and treat myself. :)

So, what I really need to know from you all, is if anyone has used these machines and what they think of them? I've not used one before and I am curious as to how reliable they are and how they sew the leather I've mentioned above. I guess I just don't want to spend all that money on a Highlead only to discover that, really, I should have just bitten the bullet and bought a brand new Seiko or Adler because they are better mechanically. I know you get what you pay for but for what I'm paying for the Highlead, will it be adequate?

Thanks in advance for your help on this. It's been a difficult decision to make (read: it's taken me months just to narrow it down to this one machine!) :)

Seeya

Betty

Hi Betty,

The main thread on selecting a machine concentrates on types and for what you are doing the style of machine appears more than adequate but in general topics you will see that everyone raises the issue of support. Your main mission in life now should be to find out what sort of backup this supplier provides.

I have experience with the Highlead GC2698-1B which is a good machine and I understand is almost the same as the GC2698-1 you mention.

The 1B model has a larger hook so can hold more thread. Details to check if it’s similar are listed on http://www.sewingmachinery.com/ Highlead are one of the better brands and Adler may be better ? But the price difference can be a lot. For light to medium weight they will likely all be adequate. Just make sure the machine you purchase is set up correctly and from a decent supplier.

Hi

Highleads are Chinese copy’s they are made in the same factory’s just branded differently, for instance the Highlead GC2698 (PFAFF 335 clone) is the same machine as the Global 9335, the same machines carry many different brand names in the UK the main ones are Highlead Global and Wimsew. The main thing with the Chinese clones is that they need a good looking over and setting up as to after sales this will most probably be return to base so you need to take this into consideration when choosing where you buy. Clones are perfectly capable and will do the same as the originals but will wear out faster and break down more often, dependant on use, very light use in your case so a clone would most probably out last you. Don’t forget the extras needles bobbins thread etc. and haggle.

Betty

Glad someone asked re this supplier.......

Firstly I purchased a machine from them ,a cylinder arm a little more heavy duty than yours.

Upon knowing which machine I wanted ,I narrowed it down to sew europe in liverpool or Braithwaites in Manchester. I decided to choose Braithwaites as they were closer and the main dealer for Highlead.

When I got there ,it was apparant I needed a heavier machine than I had first thought,so I was advised of another. Which I brought. I also purchased an edge guide from them ,just becuase they had it there.

After a couple of weeks of settling into my new machine I started looking into. bits on the internet. I was shocked to see on sew europes site that the exact same machine was 300 pounds cheaper !!!!!

The edge guide i purchased....... yup,i found that on the college sewing website for exactly half of the price I paid (college sewing is close to braithwaites ,i guess they buy from there)

When buying the machine I asked if I could have the thread that was on the machine,already threaded etc so just made sense,plus I had nearly 2000 pounds in cash ready to give them,didnt think a kobb of thread would matter ?! Nope,he had to go and ask to see if it would be possible to let me have the thread. after a long ho harr,it was agreed that I could have some thread but not the ones on the machine!!! Some different ones .

Betty ,you'll make your own decisions on where you buy your machines from I certainly wont be buying from Braithwaites again. Call sew europe and speak to them as they sell the exact same machine . I shop there and at college sewing and their customer service is second to none

companies shouldnt exploit people who are begining or do not know what they are looking for. They should help out and then the customer will return time and time again.

Just my two pence worth

Can't say much other than what I know about; the Highlead in mention is good machine, we've sold a few of them. Our supplier stocks and sells a lot of them.

One thing about this machine, as mentioned already, machine really must be setup out of the box, or you will likely have trouble. After that, it's really a good quality machine, like all the Highleads really.

You can always find cheaper but:

I’ve also seen cheaper Highlead prices advertised and when you ring these cheaper looking drop shipper suppliers they have no stock and try to sell you a different brand or say the machine you want has to be ordered..

The cheaper adverts are probably just to get you to ring or to flog drop shipped machines.

It may be more expensive but if you need back-up go with an official supplier and get it in writing that it comes with the makers guarantee. Only risk drop shipped machines if you are experienced and have actually seen and tried the machine being sold.

Thanks very much to everyone for their comments. I really do appreciate all the different viewpoints. And also the information about the seller. I'll make sure I bargain. :) It's so difficult to know who to buy from when it comes to ordering off the internet. I've got a fantastic domestic sewing machine supplier but am totally stumped when it comes to industrial machines.

Since I posted, I've spoken to one of the sewing machine engineers at Braithwaites. He was very sweet and helpful. It was nice to talk to him because the last time I called, I got the whole sales spiel from someone there and it was just too intimidating to a newbie leatherworker. This nice gentleman offered to set up a machine for me with a servo motor so I can try it out as well as the standard Highlead. Just have to make the trip up to Manchester from London which I don't think I can do this year unfortunately. I do think that it would be good to go try these machines out and decide then and there if I'm satisfied with it.

Saying that, I'm still keeping my eyes peeled for a second hand Seiko or Adler as I am familiar with those machines and admire the old build quality. I guess I just have to be patient and wait. It's a big purchase and I don't want to waste my money.

Thanks again everyone.

Seeya

Betty

Betty, I am so glad you started this thread.

ashleyuk, I had a quote from them and was told in the email 'All in-stock today with best price promise.' it does sound cheesy to be honest. I am glad you shared your experience here!

now, Gregg, I have a question for you, re your post:

Can't say much other than what I know about; the Highlead in mention is good machine, we've sold a few of them. Our supplier stocks and sells a lot of them.

One thing about this machine, as mentioned already, machine really must be setup out of the box, or you will likely have trouble. After that, it's really a good quality machine, like all the Highleads really.

I am in the process of finding my first machine, due to the location (Ireland) it will not be possible for any company in the UK to deliver the machine themselves, I would imagine they will just use a courier to deliver the box, how do I go about installing the machine myself if I buy one of these Highlead ones? is that even an option to DIY??

can you also recommend a machine that doesnt need a set up before use??