tdg

Using Kickstarter.com As A Marketing Tool

Hello to all,

I am new to the forum, really to any forum and I would like to run this by ya'll. I am a boot maker that is about to start teaching boots to the public. I have taught a number of young adults within my church community and now my son and I are about to embark on a full blown school.

I entered a project on kickstarter called "BootBuilders", it has been on for a week now. Would this forum be a good place to let folks know about my project? If you are not familiar with this website I will leave a link for you to view. It is an opportunity to sell leather goods to fund Bootbuilders. But, I am also offering a 2 week class at a discounted rate for people interested.....would this forum be a good place to spread the word about my school. I certainly do not want to offend anyone here with my project. I know of other "forums" that I would not be comfortable posting this. So, I am wanting your feedback. If it seems appropriate how would I proceed? If not.....

Many thanks in Advance,

Terry

4SquareLeather.com

tdglueck@gmail.com

Here's the link: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1578131561/boot-builders-a-new-method-of-boot-making?ref=email

We've seen Kickstarter here before with little success but you might get some interest because there's not a lot of learning resources out there on boot making apart from a few books.

Good luck!

Thanks Jack,

It certainly hasn't taken off at any alarming rate. Would you mind critiquing the project for me? Is there on forum category better than another?

Terry

Your project looks fairly well thought out to me. Your objective is clear. You're looking to turn your leather shop into a teaching facility. Your pledge rewards are all decent products, though as leather workers ourselves, we might not see the benefit in pledging for the smaller rewards that we can make ourselves and those are the ones that will be easiest to push.

I would also suggest you post on other make friendly sites and forums like Make Magazine, Instructables.com and Etsy.com and definitely look at Google Plus for social networking as the maker and DIY movements are strong there and community sourcing for projects is understood there more so than any where probably.

Thanks Jack,

I will track these sites down. I appreciate the time taken here. Do you think posting here on leatherworker might stir some interest in the boot school? If so, is there a particular category to enter it in?

Again Thanks,

Terry

The categories you're in appear to cover it. It doesn't actually matter though. If the mods feel you're not posting in the correct category they'll move your post for you.

Great, you have been a big help!

Don't forget your local Community College or local City Learning workshops. You would give up some of the $$ to them for space and such, but you already have established advertising in your community of you go this route via their catalogs. Leather guilds are another idea.

Hi Sylvia,

Well...how about that?! You are right. That's a whole different angle that is much worth exploring.

Thank you,

Terry