Matt Alsaker

Holster Inlay - 1St Attempt

This is my first attempt to inlay exotic hides. A couple previous posts from Katsass really helped. I don't know if the exotic hide is a snake or lizard, it's from a remnants bag from Springfield. I cut the window, then took the piece of window that I had cut out and trimmed it down some. I then glued it to the back of the exotic hide. I glued and stitched the hide into place, then put the lining leather on the back of the entire thing. The trimmed piece from the window that I glued to the back helped push the exotic hide forward, raising it up some.

Feedback would really be appreciated. Trying it on a scrap piece of exotic hide is one thing, doing it on something that costs me a pretty penny is another. Should I reduce the size of the exotic hide? Is there too much?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

post-28681-0-91805900-1353297781_thumb.j

I think it looks great Matt! Stitching is nicely spaced and looks good, the leather in the "window" is nice and burnished, and the inlay size looks about perfect to me.

Nice work!

Excellent work Matt! Very clean.

Very classy! Nice job.

From the grump; You done good. Mike

Excellent job!

Nice work! But you weren't holding your tongue just right....you should make a couple more. ;)

Nice work! But you weren't holding your tongue just right....you should make a couple more. ;)

Oh, I did. I'm surprised to see this old post show up again. I'm addicted to working with exotic hides....but still a novice. I've done a fair amount with alligator, shark, and elephant. I recently got into stingray, which is an entirely different monster. My personal preference is with inlays, but don't mind working with overlays.

post-28681-0-45362700-1417741413_thumb.j

post-28681-0-77966400-1417741425_thumb.j

post-28681-0-22679000-1417741438_thumb.j

post-28681-0-55319200-1417741452_thumb.j

post-28681-0-93831800-1417741467_thumb.j

Edited by Matt Alsaker

When you work with 'ray, are you having issues sewing it? I've got a piece that I haven't used yet, and found some advice to sand down the 'beads' where I'm going to sew. I'm just curious if it's really necessary.

Some very nice looking pieces there, I want to try some inlay but every time I think about it someone else shows up and trying not to be a slave to leather all the time I am suppose to be retired, but it keeps me out of trouble and the extra $$ is nice.

I love your inlays!

When you work with 'ray, are you having issues sewing it? I've got a piece that I haven't used yet, and found some advice to sand down the 'beads' where I'm going to sew. I'm just curious if it's really necessary.

I don't do anything special to sew it, other than run it very slowly through by Cobra 4. If doing an overlay, the stitch line many not appear perfectly straight. The needle will move slightly side to side as it glances off the hard calcium deposits on the hide. The lines generally are straight, but you get that occasional deposit that pushes the needle minimally off line. Most leather craftsmen notice it right away, most who don't have the eye for that level of meticulous detail don't even notice it. With inlays, I don't have the same issue. The stitch line is visible on the outer piece of leather which have enough give to accommodate the movement of the needle, but the leather seems to straighten the stitch out (at least that's how it appears on the leather).

The bigger issue for me is....finishing the edges. Cutting the fine edges (along an edge where leather and the stingray meet) is a pain. I used shears and heavy scissors. When I went to sand the edge (wear a mask if you don't already, you don't want to breath in all the calcium dust), those calcium deposits were tough on my sanding drums. In certain situations I start with a small grinder on my Dremel, then switch to the sanding drum.