Evening all, I'm interested in learning more about strikers (metal salts which react with tannins in leather to effect a colour change), especially with regards to veg tanned leather. I've not come up with many concrete references even in the archives of the leather chemists.

We all know about the effects of iron -- the blue-grey-black shades which can be made using vinegroon (ferrous acetate) or green copperas (ferrous sulphate). I've also read of salts of tartar (potassium chloride) which can cause a brown colour, and mentions of tin salts which can result in a red. What other options are there?

Many thanks,

Matt

Edited by Matt S

My opinion is that you should become a chemist, concoct all of these different brews and then educate us on all of your new knowledge. Seriously, sounds cool but whats wrong with available dyes?

Hi Matt

There is actually a book probably out of print that has all of that information. I do have an old copy and can send you the isbn number tomorrow when I am back in the shop.

Blake

Blake, that's way more useful! Sorry for my snarky response, i've been sick. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Good Morning urMikealso and Mattinaddition

The book I mentioned is titled "The Complete Handbook of Leathercrafting" by Jane E. Garnes. - Krieger publishing co. Malabar Florida 32950 .

Orig. edition 1981 Reprint edition 1986 ISBN 0-89874-899-2.

Chapter 8 covers colorants and has several charts on Biological color stains,chemical colorants and Indian dyes along with mixing charts.

I picked this up at the Panama-American Leather fair in Miami Fl which was a fantastic world class vendor show. The book is hard cover but cheaply printed on pulp paper and the photographs are poorly reproduced but the information that was gleaned from many sources is pretty good and educational.

You can contact me off list if you would like additional info.

Kind Regards

justplainBlake

ps I like that word "Snarky" it reminds me of Belushi on the early SNL

I have a pretty good collection of old books on leather working, several of them are 19th century vintage. I have been planning on culling through all o them to glean all of their information in striking salts/reactive dyes. I cannot promise when, but I will collect all of their data and post it all in one article on this forum. If there is anyone out there in the southern California Inland Empire who has time and ability to come help out with this project, PM me and we can set up a good time to get it going.