hi,

i am new here and did not make any leather things for about a year.

...but today i was motivated and spend some time (about 4 hours) on a new idea which was a 3D Skull i modeled out of a thin 2-3mm leather and then glued and punched it on a bag.

i think the result isnt that bad and i liked the idea. :-)

how do you like it?

post-36623-0-36742700-1353543872_thumb.j

Great job. If you could find button caps like the concho on the inside that would be amazing.

Horn

Sick!

thanks for the nice feedback :)

incase you are interested in seeing my older stuff visit www.scortea.at (non profit, no commercial)

i will soon add more tutorials. they are written in german but you can use google translate if interested in following them.

I'd like to know how you did that. And, it will give me a chance to work on my German. Austria is one of my favorite places...

Edited by immiketoo

http://www.scortea.at/index.php/portfolio-3d_totenkopftasche-19 << there you can see some pictures of how i did it.

the molding part is quite easy if you know how....and there are two ways i use:

1.) you take a thin piece of leather, put it in hot water for a couple minutes, wrap it over something which has a round shape. now you will have the basic shape of the head, then take some plasticine (plastilin in german) and put it inside, this will help you keep the shape. now add the details with your fingers or small rounded tools, i just used the back of some pencils since these are rounded and got a smooth shape so you dont scratch on the leather.

2.) a lot easier. you can wrap it over something which already has the form you need. either you take a little toy which is not to filigree for this or if you are skilled, mold yourself something out of clay. another good point on this one, you can use it over and over again and it saves a lot of time.

hope it helps ;-)

Wow this is nice ! Great work ! I am from the old school of use what you have leather and thread keeping it simple . Your stitching is perfect razor sharp ,very clean ! If it was me I would have sewed the belt fastners on and let the chicago screws stay on the bench . Thats only a personal opinion and I hope you see it that way . I am inspired by your project and the quality of your work . Thank you very much for showing us this fine project .

Cool, sick....wow!!

Yeahhh and I love skulls!! Nice work dude!!!!

Ach ja und die Idee mit dem "knet" ist ja ober geil....da sieht man mal wieder....musste nur deine Nudel anstrengen dann geht da schon was....hahaha....Super toll die Tasche, sieht aus als ob der Schaedel da richtig durch bricht....fein, na dann mach mal weiter so und lass uns noch mehr von deinen Schmuckstuecken sehen...

Gruesse aus dem Land der Indianer....

James ( ein Ex-Schwabe )

Very cool.

i like it alot. i went to the website. I see how you did it. Wouldn't it be easier to make the piece big enough to cover the entire piece so you would have a smoother transition, know what I mean? Instead of gluing on the skull, you would glue all the way to the stitching, therefore having it look smooth all the way across.

@chadnorth; i tried that lately to cover it completely but it turned out to be easier and of better looking to glue the parts together. will show the new bag here as soon as i can catch a photo...

thanks to all the nice feedback from the other posters =)