Sign in to follow this  
drof99

Gum Tragacanth Question

I've been trying to clean up my edge burnishing a bit. I can get a decent edge using just water but when I want a really clean edge I use gum tragacanth. I'm sure there are ways to do it with just water and I'm going to keep practicing but in the mean time I've got a couple questions regarding using gum. I can get a nice clean edge but when it comes to dyeing it seems the dye doesn't want to stick very well. I use an airbrush to dye and usually do several coats. The dye still doesn't seem to adhere very well over the gum. Would it be possible to run some mineral spirits over the top of the gum to remove some of it or would that just allow my edge to get "fuzzy"? Any ideas you gents might have to help my dye hold a little better would be greatly appreciated.

Using Gum Tragicanth you have to dye first. End of story.

True story.

Thanks fellas. That's what I needed to know.

I found out about a product called Wyo Quick Slik at the Boot and Saddle Makers show In Wichita Falls. The only place that sells it is Sheridan Leather, I believe it is their product. It is incredible stuff, I had been trying several other methods since I am somewhat of a novice but this stuff works great. For grins I just took a small piece of veg tan with a raw edge and put the Wyo Slik on it, it almost looked like a fully burnished edge. Obviously you still want to burnish the edges but it really works well.

The Quick Slik readily accepts a dye, it is a great product. If you read Bob Park's tutorial on finishing edges, he explains why he won't use gum tag because of the way it will not dye.

Terry

drof99, you can probably sand the edges to remove the gum trag, then dye it, then gum trag it and re-burnish in order to salvage this project. You probably don't need to sand much. If you want to continue using gum trag, definitely do as everyone else said and dye the edge first.

Paul

I will have to take a look at the potion you guys mentioned. I have a couple things I'm working on and ready to start edging but was waiting to hear your guys' thoughts before using the Gum again.

You could also try the edge paint. If I remember correctly that stuff will stick after gum had been applied. Several coats may be needed though.

One thing I should have mentioned with regards to the Wyo Quick Slik.. when I talked to the folks at Sheridan about the product I asked specifically about being able to dye over the Quick Slik. They told me that as long as you were using an alcohol based dye it was no problem, if you are using an oil based dye.. it WILL NOT work over the Quick Slik. They told me the Quick Slik will work with the oil base as long as you dye it first then use the product.

Fiebings Edge Kote works well on edges that have been finished using gum trag. It doesn't penetrate like dye, but instead it covers similar to paint and leaves a nice looking edge. The only disadvantage is the color will not exactly match the holster color because Edge Kote is only available in black and brown.