rschreck

Pro Leather Carver's Supply

The Hackbarth stamps they show there are considered better quality and more suitable for professional use. The Craftool stamps are okay as entry level tools. JMO, folks! :)

What would most consider "professional tools"? I want to spend money on really good tools.

I presume you're mainly talking about stamps? I think most experience leatherworkers would consider Hackbarth "professional" tools. Also, you may want to pay a visit to Barry King's web site; his stamps have a high ratio of quality vs. cost - they're stainless steel rather than chrome-plated (whatever), produce very nice impressions, and are durable. Bob Beard makes the best stamps I've ever seen - to die for - they're beautiful, make extremely clean impressions, and are extremely durable - but they're not cheap and it takes a long time to get them.

For me professional quality stamps mean in no particular order - Barry King, Gomph-Hackbarth, Bob Beard, Elton Joorisity, Clay Miller, Wayne Jueschke, Chuck Smith, and Gore for guys making them now. They can run from $30 to $140 or so depending on maker and stamp type. Blasts from the past are Don King, Walt Fay, CLT, Ray Hackbarth, Bill Woodruff. Frank Eberly, McMillen and will cost more when you find them. Some of the old and new Tandy Craftools are still a good value depending on what they are. I have some CarftJapan stamps that leave pretty good impressions too. I use a mix of stamps from all of these and have seen the stamp sets of several top toolers. Everybody uses a mix of makers - and very few sets are not going to have some Craftools in there. Some of them may be old or new stock and some may have been reworked. I think it really depends more on the type of stamp in some cases. For example, as long as a smooth pear shader is symmetrical side to side, who made it and chrome plated, SS, or black finish doesn't mean as much to me. If we are talking about a basket stamp, border, or flower center with a set pattern, I think it matters a lot more.

I see there isn't a lot of love for Craftools. Even the older ones that were made in the US?

I see there isn't a lot of love for Craftools. Even the older ones that were made in the US?

Many of us started with craftools, that is what we first laid our hands on. If you keep tooling you try to improve your work, fresher/cleaner impressions to emulate what you have seen others do. After a while you quit blaming yourself and get a quality tool in your hands and your work improves dramatically. Now you will not be the best you can be until you have tooled some leather just to get your style, technique and mistakes learned.

The best deal right now on a pretty complete set of tools is from Lonnie at Hackbarth/Gomph. Stainless set for tooling is I think about $155 for 15 quality tools.

Basket stamps will run you about $55 and up. Quite a bit more then Craftools but you can do a lot of work with craftools too.

I have some of everyones tools. For most of my work I end up with Hackbarth or Barry King tools in my hand 90% of the time.

Hope this helps,

Rick

Is this a good place to get "pro" tools?

http://proleathercar...aftool-usa.html

It appears they have just jacked up the tool price for the same thing you can get at Tandy (for less money) I would say this dealer may work for those a long distance from a Tandy store but The prices seem higher then normal. I would check around before buying from them.

Just my quick observation,

Rick

Rick: could you shoot me a link to that 15 tool stainless set for $155? I went to their website and didn't see any sets you could buy.

Pro Leather Carver Supply has had some good deals on tools from time to time. Most of his Craftools are older ones (maybe bought from eBay?) and are listed at a little above average price. However, I have bought some from him that I needed but couldn't find anywhere else, so in those cases the prices were very reasonable. His Procrafter Series tools are from the old Hidecrafter Co (bought out by Double K Leather Supply I think). He is a good person to deal with, who ships very promptly and follows special packaging requests (at least for me), his discriptions are very accurate on eBay, and I'v never seen him try to sell junk as good tools.

Rick: could you shoot me a link to that 15 tool stainless set for $155? I went to their website and didn't see any sets you could buy.

I did not find it on the site either, Give Lonnie a call and ask for the "Starter set special" they have had it for some time and I have not heard that they stopped it. If they have the special only at the leather shows I can pick a set up for you in Feb. at the Wickenburg show.

In Tandy's 2013 catalog they are starting a stainless steel tool series. I haven't seen one yet so I can't say how the quality is or if they are still made by Craftool. I think they retail at $24 each. I assume it is because of the quality reputation Craftool has gotten over the recent years. Tandy is calling it their Pro Tool line. Also have a couple swivel knives in the series too. Sorry this seems like a Tandy commercial. I didn't mean it that way.

Yes, Tandy will be releasing a set of Craftool Pro Stamps this year. However, I have been keeping in touch with my local store and there is no set date for this release. Speculation is that it may not happen until mid-year (or about there).

Fortunately, I still have my original Craftool stamps from when they were made here in the U.S. and from high-quality materials. I have very little need for anything new from their line and have found no need to replace them with anything more expensive as the results come from technique.

Besides, all of the other maker's of tools are doing nothing more than "re-engineering" the same patterns and designs that Craftool has trademarked and copyrighted over the decades. Don't really find too many unique designs that serve a common/general function.

For a person who is just starting out, there is no need to spend high dollar amounts on tools until you actually know how much time you will be investing in this craft. If it becomes a booming business, knock yourself out, otherwise just invest in some simple tools that don't cost an arm and a leg and see how it goes.