angelheart11

Lacing Not Sewing

how do I lace two pieces of leather together when making motorcycle saddlebags. I do not want sew, at all. I like the look of the cross over both edges lacing look. ( Single double Loop Like the Tandy Video on one piece of leather). I am ready with leather and tools. just need confidence to star :-)t'.

If you are going to join the two pieces edge to edge (butt joint) what I do is apply a bit of glues to each edge of the pieces. The carefully slide them together so they come into contact with each other. I will use a lace roller and roll across the two joined pieces, not along the seam.

Then I cut strips of pigskin, if my lace joint is going to be 1/2" wide, I will cut 3/4" strips. Then I take masking tape and along the seam (on the inside) I will stick the tape so it allows me to apply glue to the area where the strip will be applied. So a 3/4" strip I will stick tape 3/8" on either side of the seam, then apply glue to this area. Apply glue to the pigskin strip, and once the glue is tacky, place the strip onto the area of your joined pieces. Be sure to take the tape off first.

Once I have the strip applied, I then run my roller over it to be sure to get a real good seal.

Now that the two pieces are joined together, you can mark and punch the holes you require for lacing.

The reason for the strip of pigskin on the inside, is because when you lace, on the inside the lace runs in a straight line and does not offer any support or strength to the seam. On the outside where the lace is seen, it crosses over from piece to piece many times, adding strength and support as well as giving you that "Wow Factor" look.

If you check out either of the tutorials I have here on Leatherworker, it shows you how to do what I have just explained.

Here's the link to the tutorials.

Hat Tutorial http://leatherworker...?showtopic=2488

Vest Tutorial http://leatherworker...?showtopic=1774

Hope this helps, if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Edited by Beaverslayer

There are some great tutorials here: http://www.kingsmerecrafts.com/Contents.html

If you look at 95 and up, you'll see several tutorials about lacing. You don't actually join the laces (which should never exceed 2 yards in length because they fray and are hard to handle). Instead, you weave them together, concealing the edges of both laces.

If you are going to join the two pieces edge to edge (butt joint) what I do is apply a bit of glues to each edge of the pieces. The carefully slide them together so they come into contact with each other. I will use a lace roller and roll across the two joined pieces, not along the seam.

Then I cut strips of pigskin, if my lace joint is going to be 1/2" wide, I will cut 3/4" strips. Then I take masking tape and along the seam (on the inside) I will stick the tape so it allows me to apply glue to the area where the strip will be applied. So a 3/4" strip I will stick tape 3/8" on either side of the seam, then apply glue to this area. Apply glue to the pigskin strip, and once the glue is tacky, place the strip onto the area of your joined pieces. Be sure to take the tape off first.

Once I have the strip applied, I then run my roller over it to be sure to get a real good seal.

Now that the two pieces are joined together, you can mark and punch the holes you require for lacing.

The reason for the strip of pigskin on the inside, is because when you lace, on the inside the lace runs in a straight line and does not offer any support or strength to the seam. On the outside where the lace is seen, it crosses over from piece to piece many times, adding strength and support as well as giving you that "Wow Factor" look.

If you check out either of the tutorials I have here on Leatherworker, it shows you how to do what I have just explained.

Here's the link to the tutorials.

Hat Tutorial http://leatherworker...?showtopic=2488

Vest Tutorial http://leatherworker...?showtopic=1774

Hope this helps, if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks, Beaverslayer, . . . I've done a couple of bags, . . . but not with the pigskin on the inside, . . . GREAT idea in my book.

Yep, . . . you can teach an old pup new tricks, . . . woof! woof!

May God bless,

Dwight