Logans Leather

Help Moving Leather Factory

Not sure which forum is best for this, bu here goes. I just bought the remains of the Safety Speed Holster factory. Lots of heavy equipment including a clicker, 2 shoe finishing benches, 2 big hydraulic forming presses, a few punch presses, stap cutting machine, table saw, a coue mystery machines I haven't seen in person yet, and boxes and boxes of cutting dies, forming molds, buckles, fasteners etc and lots of cut leather waiting to become holsters.

My problem is that I need to get it all on a truck or trailer and Geri it all hauled from Bullhead City, AZ to Lake Elsinore, CA without breaking the bank. No one seems to want to give me a one way truck rental with a lift gate, and nobody in Bullhead rents forklifts on Saturdays. I can do it with a pallet jack if I have a lift gate. Anyone out there have a big stake bed truck with a lift gate i i can borrow or rent for a couple days? Or anyone know of a rental company that can solve my dilemma? I have the man-power and even class A drivers on hand if need be, but getting the rigt vehicles and loading equipment is proving to be daunting. Any ideas?

Oh yes, gonna take a while to go through everything and clean things up a bit, but I will be figuring out what all I plan to keep and what I plan to sell. I will be listing several items for sale on LW.net, and if anyone can help me figure this move out, I will certainly offer them very kind pricing on equipment. Not sure what all I'm keeping or selling yet.

From experience having to move large heavy machinery.

Hire an industrial moving company to do the move. Won't be cheap but they have insurance to cover damage etc.

You can save money by having everything ready for them to load. Time is money :)

ferg

Maybe try this place out, people bid on hauling your stuff for you.

http://www.uship.com/ca/

I do a lot of work with Penske and they typically have 24ft liftgated box trucks available. They occationally have 36ft liftgated trailers as well. You might check with them, I get good rates from them due to the amount of business I do, I'm not sure how the regular rates are. They have facilities in Las Vegas & Flagstaff but you might also look at the rate of renting one for a round trip out of the Riverside office.

Maybe the Pods would work for you? I have never used them, and certainly never moved machinery.But it would be ground level to start with.Also not sure exactly how large of a container you would need, but theirs go up to 16'. http://www.pods.com/default.aspx

Whatever route you choose, best of luck!

Thanks for all the suggestions! Got some bids from UShip, but nothing great. Penske is a possibility, but they don't rent lift gated trucks for one way rentals. One way rentals they give you unlimited miles and you get the truck for 3 days. Round trip rentals are $99 per day, and .99 per mile, and they trucks aren't rated for a load this heavy. Love Penske though, I use them often, they are just not right for this move. Pods won't service one of the zip codes involved, and I don't think they are built for loads this heavy.

I think I found a good solution though. A freight company called ABF will drop off a 28 foot trailer, leave it for the weekend for me to load. I can load it with up to 24,000 pounds, and they will pick it up on Monday and haul it to my location for $542. (about 55 cents per mile) I then have 24 hours to unload it before they come back to pick it up. They have been very helpful and accommodating both online and over the phone. I will post more when the move is done, but so far they get a big thumb's up.

Now, does anyone know where I can rent a forklift for a good price in Bullhead city or Laughlin?

I saw that stuff on ebay and dreamed of doing the same thing. Cool. I am not far from you so if you need help digging thru the boxes.... :begging::spoton:

Did you buy the patents and such for the holsters, or just the equipment? I've got a few of the old holsters, and have been trying to duplicate them in my off time for yah yahs. I just wonder if the patents are long gone, or if the family still retains them.

PS: I'm jealous, even with the problems of moving the stuff.

as i read this thread, i immediately thought of ABF. i see their trucks all of the time with the "you load, we move" on the back. seems like a great idea to use them.

is there a neighboring business that has a fork truck that you could rent?

As far as purchasing patents goes, I did get permission to finish and sell all of the existing stock as "Safety Speed" there is over 400 pounds of leather already cut into holsters, belts and belt gear, waiting to be assembled and finished. All the formed steel springs and inserts too, aling with tons of buckles, clips, and fasteners. All of the cutting dies and forming molds and presses included too. Talking to them about use of the company name beyond that, and inquiring about the patents as well. Luckily my attorney loves my work and likes to trade!

Thanks, that what I needed to know. There's a buncha CA. cops will buy them, I'm sure, not just for the memories, either.

That's what I'm hoping for!

Hey all! Thanks for all the suggestions! We found a forklift to rent in Fort Mohave, which is on our way. $100 for the weekend, including the trailer to haul it! I highly recommend the folks at Fleet Services of Fort Mojave. They are closed on the weekends, but left it out where we can pick it up and return it on our way back home. They took great care of us, and I am happy to promote them and anyone who gives such great, personal customer service.

The forklift was our last major hurdle to getting this move set up. Now the "easy" part, actually getting it done!

As it happens, around four hours after I set up the rental, I met a woman whose son-in-law owns a cement yard in Laughlin. She offered to call him and arrange for him to loan us one of his forklifts. This whole process has involved a lot of people going out of their way for each other. I am extremely thankful.

If anyone is in the Laughlin area tomorrow night(Saturday, Dec 1 2012) and would like to meet for a brew, we are staying at Harrah's.

PM me here and I will check periodically tomorrow night

Not sure which forum is best for this, bu here goes. I just bought the remains of the Safety Speed Holster factory. Lots of heavy equipment including a clicker, 2 shoe finishing benches, 2 big hydraulic forming presses, a few punch presses, stap cutting machine, table saw, a coue mystery machines I haven't seen in person yet, and boxes and boxes of cutting dies, forming molds, buckles, fasteners etc and lots of cut leather waiting to become holsters.

My problem is that I need to get it all on a truck or trailer and Geri it all hauled from Bullhead City, AZ to Lake Elsinore, CA without breaking the bank. No one seems to want to give me a one way truck rental with a lift gate, and nobody in Bullhead rents forklifts on Saturdays. I can do it with a pallet jack if I have a lift gate. Anyone out there have a big stake bed truck with a lift gate i i can borrow or rent for a couple days? Or anyone know of a rental company that can solve my dilemma? I have the man-power and even class A drivers on hand if need be, but getting the rigt vehicles and loading equipment is proving to be daunting. Any ideas?

have you tryed rider or hurtz truck rentals

Heheheh - there are lots of verrrrry old posts here..... this is from back in 2012 :thumbsup: