Hello sewing machine guru's,

I just set up a Consew 223r. I have a few questions.

1) is there an adaptor for the unusual presser foot mount which will allow this machine to take the more common style of industrial presser feet?

2) in my first couple of test runs i got tangled up pretty quickly with large loops on the underside. Obviously this suggests that I need more needle thread tension. Do i just keep tightening the tensioner until the loops go away? is there any other cause of this problem which I should check?

3) what is the biggest needle thread combo for heavy leather stiching which this machine can handle. Everything seems to suggest a 120 with 207 thread? is this right, should I even bother trying 180 with 277?

It's a needlefeed machine so that's the feet it takes.There are left & right toe feet,single & double welt & guide feet toe & a narrow double toe.

The tangling might be do to wrong threading,look @ diagram.

#207 might work if you really tighten up the tension alot BUT #138 will work alot easier w/#22 needle

Bob

post-7185-0-64114600-1353961823_thumb.jp

The 223 is a light duty machine.

A #120 needle is only good for #92 (T90) bonded thread. If you want to sew with #207 (T210) thread, you'll need a #24 needle (metric 180). It is probably beyond the machine's ability to tension such heavy thread.

The machine has a vertical hook and standard G size bobbin, which is not ideal for anything over #138 thread in the bobbin.

Thanks very much you guys. Bob, based on that diagram, I do have it threaded correctly. I missed the little hook before the slack spring initially, but I did find it. I will try setting it up with 138 thread and the appropriate 137-16 needle. Once i get that running I will see if I can step up to 207. I did think this machine was a little heavier duty when I bought it on ebay. Looks like i am going to go thru all the steps like everyone else :-(

well, FYI i got it to sew pretty with a 207 nylon and a 180 leather point needle through about 3/8 chrome tanned medium temper bison. tension is so tight that its hard to draw extra needle thread out by hand (is that normal?). belt slippage is now limiting. Any tricks on reducing belt slippage?

I spray my belts with the belt no-slip sold at auto parts stores.