Matt Alsaker

Padding For A Rifle Sling?

I'm finishing up my first rifle sling and want to pad the shoulder strap. I've considered neoprene and wool felt. I'm leaning toward 1/4 pressed wool felt covered with suede. Is there any other type of padding I should consider? I haven't found any pressed wool locally, I can only find fabric, which is very thin and I don't think it will be durable. Any other suggestions?

cotton or wool batting stitched in a quilted patten might work. Should be easy to find too.

You can get closed cell foam at craft stores cheap. I got some to thin sheets to line a guitar strap with at Joann's fabric but I have seen it at different craft stores in the kids area. I used rubber cement to hold it, I don't know if contact cement would melt it or not. Closed cell foam like neoprene won't hold water if it gets wet.

David

I went to Joann's today. I was looking at the green foam (I think that was the closed cell), but wasn't sure how it would hold up. I'm going to wrap whatever I use in suede. Is the closed cell foam pretty durable? I was going to cut up a pressed pure wool saddle pad my wife has, but I got a pretty nasty look so I'd better find something else.

You can get closed cell foam at craft stores cheap. I got some to thin sheets to line a guitar strap with at Joann's fabric but I have seen it at different craft stores in the kids area. I used rubber cement to hold it, I don't know if contact cement would melt it or not. Closed cell foam like neoprene won't hold water if it gets wet.

David

Hey Matt. I use adhesive foam for my collars. No glue needed. Just cut to size. Check a local sports medicine store. The use it for the inside of splints for athletes.

Malik

That is a very cool collar. I used to supervise the K9 Unit at my LEO job. I've been trying to find time to make those guys something special. They would love the wide collar for agitation and tracking work. I'll check out the adhesive foam, thanks for the tip.

Hey Matt. I use adhesive foam for my collars. No glue needed. Just cut to size. Check a local sports medicine store. The use it for the inside of splints for athletes.

Malik

Neoprene is commonly used in building up motorcycle seats, and is VERY durable if it's going to be encased in something else. That way it doesn't have any exposure to abrasion.

I have made a few rifle slinger and I just keep shortening up my wife's yoga mat and stitch sawed or other thin soft leather over it I find it is very comfortable on the shoulder

Neoprene was recommended to me by another member on the board, and it's all I've used with luck. Covered with suede it does quite well in my experience.

I have used the closed cell foam too (which I think is also neoprene). The kind used in yoga mats that you can find at the sporting goods stores. I am pretty sure the foam you were looking at in Joann's was open cell. The stuff you want to look at is the small foam boards or pieces in the art section or where the kids art stuff is, craft foam I think it is called. You may have to use a couple layers to build up the cushion or get thicker foam.