DFWLeather

New Cowboy 4500 Just Delivered!

I am grateful to Wiz and others that provided insight and information regarding the various machines. I spent a long time researching the machines, and the people that service them as that is the most important factor regarinding this purchase given the origin of these machines.

That said, my machine was delivered mostly assembled from Bob Kovar at Toledo last night. And I can tell you I had it running on leather within an hour. Bob called to follow-up on a couple of questions very quickly. In addition, he labeled all the baggies with the parts and even provided several samples of different thickness of leather he knew I would be sewing to show me the machine was indeed ready.

Well let me tell you about this machine, it's a darn beast. Despite its massive heft, I was able to lift it to the table, but don't suggest you do it as it's like lifting the anchor from an aircraft carrier.

Here's a link to my youtube account showing the unit in delivery form, and my comments etc.

Edited by DFWLeather

Nice pickup!! You are one lucky guy. Keeps us posted on the full setup and your learning curve. That's the machine I want.....YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your comments. When I was looking for a leather sewing machine, my wife's clothing company's sewing room suggested a Juki 563. It was completely rebuilt and looked and operated like new--And it did a good job at thin leather. But as I began to expand into thicker, denser leather, and my projects grew, the machine struggled, and understandably so. It was not designed for the tasks I put it through.

Needless to say, I wish they had simply referred me to a heavier, stronger machine like Cowboy. Yes the price was a stretch, and more than I would care to spend on a machine. However, now that I have experienced its abilities, I wish I had known about it sooner and acquired it years ago. Oh, the years of hand stitching and using the awl will not be missed by me.

I am really impressed with the quality and strength of the machine. And I would like to add my CNC machine was also manufactured in China. And like Cowboy, American consumers need an intermediary like Bob Kovar to bring in the machine, adjust it, adapt it, and run it through its paces before it reaches you or me. I now realize the machine is a bargain given its capabilities. An industrial, beastly machine that you or I can own. Incredible.

Edited by DFWLeather

I bought the same machine from Bob and I'm very happy with it.

Why the Cowboy over the Cobra Class 4? Any insight is appreciated.

Congratulations DFW! Looks like we received CB4500s at roughly the same time. I too am very happy with the machine.

You all are want-to-be Cowboys. You see, you have to live in Texas to be a real Cowboy.

Congratulations to all of you. My machine is turning out stuff so fast I don't even know what some of it is.

As far as why Cowboy or another? Just research, references and preferences.

Thank you very much for your videos! They really are helpful to people considering buying a sewing machine!

I know it's hard to swing a purchase like this, but when you see what the machine can do, and how simple the design is, you realize it's a bargain. I only wish I bought it sooner. I am the worst "buyers remorse" person in the world, so I often delay purchases for fear of regretting a purchase. Well, I thought about this one a good long time, and read a lot, and received great feedback from many on this forum and others. This is one purchase I really enjoy and know I'll use a long time.

Also, it has been my experience that good tools are more liquid than a rolex watch. Most of my "good" tools sell in a day or two. It's simple for me really; if I don't use a tool for six months to a year, it's gone. Time to move on to new projects and adventures.

Edited by DFWLeather

Thanks man, I've heard good things about the Cobra, but not too much about the Cowboy and since I'm in the decision mode, I want to make the best decision possible. A machine will open so many doors for various projects. I can't wait!

Why the Cowboy over the Cobra Class 4? Any insight is appreciated.

Quite likely distance to be shipped.

Congrats on that new machine ! now the fun starts. Stan

Quite likely distance to be shipped.

So otherwise they are pretty similar?

So otherwise they are pretty similar?

From my understanding near identical.

I believe they are very similar with a few very small exceptions.

There are others better qualified to answer this question than I, since I have not seen or used the other machines. I am very happy with the machine and support.

Just sent a check off to Steve Friday for my second Cobra Class 4. I never even considered anyone else. This is maybe like 6 or 7 times I have purchased machines from Steve. I guess you could shout I am a very satisfied customer. Ken

Someone around here once said, one's brown and one's grey.

I bought the grey one cuzz it matches my hair.

That's funny. I'm not far behind...

I have owned two of the Juki clones (Artisan 4000 and now the Cobra 4). The Cobra has the newer servo motor, while my Artisan operated with a clutch motor. That is/was the major difference in my two. They both sewed flawlessly and handled really heavy duty projects easily. While I have never owned or operated the Cowboy brand, I have tried it at the Wichita Falls, TX trade show and for me all three machines are pretty much the same.

That means the tie breaker is the representative who in your mind has the best support and after the sale service.........For me that was Steve and David at Cobra. They also happened to be with Artisan when I originally bought there 12 years ago. I have had flawless service from those guys, hence my loyalty to their brand.

Paul

Edited by sheathmaker

I wanted to add that the Cowboy has stainless steel feet, which I really like. I'm not sure if the Cobra does or not, but I would certainly get them if it didn't.

This is a slightly older thread but Ill give my experience as well.

I was originally planning on getting a Cobra class 4 because I heard more of them on this forum. I already had the Boss though and it worked good enough as a heavy stitcher that I prioritized a bit and figured I'd first get a flat bed walking foot that way I'd have the Boss for heavy stuff and a flat bed for thinner flatter work. I did a little research and decided on the Consew 206rb and gave Bob a call and he had me squared up and a week later I was putting it together. I've had a few questions and all were answered very quickly. Then a few months back I wanted to motorized my Adler patcher so I talked to Bob again and discussed possible options, I chose to go with an industrial stand and servo motor, shipping was going to be a lot but I was going to Chicago for a weekend, and he offered to meet me at his shop on a Sunday night to pick it up, I was able to rearrange my schedule so he didn't have to but not many people would offer to do that. While I was there I got to use the Cowboy 4500 and seeing one in action sealed the deal on that and I realized that its finally time.

I also believe ( but I'm not 100% sure so don't take this as fact) that the Cowboy has a larger balance wheel. If this is the case I do prefer a bigger one, it makes hand wheeling it easier and I'm used to the big ones as my Adler has a large one and I have an old landis with a huge one. Either way I've always got great service from Bob and he's helped me out a bit on machines I haven't got from him as well. Next on my priority list is a smaller cylinder arm machine and I know who I'll be buying it from.

From the sounds of it you can't go wrong either way but I have no reason to change, as someone else said in another thread that the relationship you have with your dealer ends up being a long term relationship.

I've worked with my CB4500 enough now that I'm feeling pretty confident with it. There's been a significant learning curve, but its been fun. Frustrating at times, but my problems have been virtually ALWAYS operator error. No regrets..

I'd say that's pretty typical, it always takes me a little while to get accustomed to a new machine and learn its quirks, the worst part on new ones is you always assume its operator error but it could need a slight adjustment as well. When I got my Consew it seemed to push the material towards me before pulling it back and I lived with it for a long time thinking it was supposed to be that way and I need to get used to it but finally I decided to email Bob and check and he instructed me to lower the feed dogs a bit and all was well 5 minutes later.

Is this your first machine?

Having purchased a Cobra a year ago (and love it), the frames look identical - different color paint and different name attached. My guess is they are the same machine except for maybe some of the tweaking done prior to sale. Would have to get Steve and Bob to weigh in on their respective machines to know for sure.

I know they are capable of sewing even thicker than the samples shown in th video!

It would be nice to have someone that really knows their machines like wizcraft (because he also writes and explains things well) to do a side by side review of the different clones. Everyone that gets one or the other likes it so I hardly think it matters which one anyone gets but I've never heard anyone that uses or used both.

I'm happy with my service from Bob and on top of that I live in PA and have inlaws in Chicago that we visit several times a year so I'm able to pick mine up and save several hundred bucks which is pretty significant. Especially on machines less expensive. In the end location is probably the biggest reason on who to go with. The closer the cheaper and the quicker you can get parts if need be. They are both great machines and the service is great with either.