Ran

I'm Having An Affair

While I'm fairly confident this new Cowboy CB4500 won't replace my beloved Harley-Davidson as my favorite toy, I hope the scooter doesn't find out that I'm having an affair with a leather stitcher that's built like a roller derby queen! Afterall, the bike is hybernating for the Wisconsin Northwoods winter anyways... :)

DSC02156.jpg

This thing is a beast! I picked it up last night at my buddy's motorcycle shop (saved me sixty bucks in shipping to have it delivered to a business that has a forklift), and by the time I got it home and off my pick-up truck, it was getting time for dinner. Believe it or not, I somehow found the patience to wait until this morning to finish assembly, thread this behemoth and do a few practice runs.

I'm a happy guy! Tip of the hat to Bob at Toledo Sewing Machines for taking care of me, and to Wiz for some advice and tips..

As a guy who's been saddle stitching for a while, I DO have a question about terminating a stitch run when making a loop wherein you end back where you started. Do I back-stitch? Or can I do like I did when hand-stitching and over-stitch 3 or 4 stitches and call it a day??

Here she is..

DSCN4081.jpg

DSCN4082.jpg

Bob's Youtube video was a great help for loading the thread

DSCN4083.jpg

DSCN4091.jpg

Edited by Ran

The 4500 should be able to back stitch in the same holes, which is a very quick way to go. However, I saddle-backstitch 99% of my work. I like the ability to lock down the thread AND decide which side the thread ends wind up on. And since I was hand stitching before I got my Boss, I just trust the saddle stitch more. I'm sure there will be some that say it doesn't matter, and both are secure....but I like my saddle stitched ends.

Really nice looking ride!

Good choice on the sewing machine as well! I LOVE mine, you will too.

Sorry to say though you will not make a good leather worker. Way too neat a shop area. You gotta clutter it up, make it really messy and have STUFF all over,to be a REAL LEATHER GUY. HAHAH

Again though, good choice on the machine and happy stitches.

Kevin

PS: Shots to the right and low is a "scwease" issue. Use your finger tips and surprise the firing.

PPS: Were the HELL is the spe;l; check?

The 4500 should be able to back stitch in the same holes, which is a very quick way to go. However, I saddle-backstitch 99% of my work. I like the ability to lock down the thread AND decide which side the thread ends wind up on. And since I was hand stitching before I got my Boss, I just trust the saddle stitch more. I'm sure there will be some that say it doesn't matter, and both are secure....but I like my saddle stitched ends.

Mike....let me see if I understand what you're saying. So you will machine sew close to the end (say 3 or 4 stitches shy?), stop, pull some thread off the bobbin and spool, thread up a couple of hand-stitch needles and wrap things up with a saddle stitch? Is that right?

Really nice looking ride!

Good choice on the sewing machine as well! I LOVE mine, you will too.

Sorry to say though you will not make a good leather worker. Way too neat a shop area. You gotta clutter it up, make it really messy and have STUFF all over,to be a REAL LEATHER GUY. HAHAH

Again though, good choice on the machine and happy stitches.

Kevin

PS: Shots to the right and low is a "scwease" issue. Use your finger tips and surprise the firing.

PPS: Were the HELL is the spe;l; check?

Kevin...I definitely have a 'squeeze' issue...ha!

Honestly...my shop (IMO) is a mess! Its common for friends to comment on my cleanliness. I hate a messy shop and I 'almost' always clean up after each day spent in it.. Its primarily a woodworking shop, but there are more and more leatherworking tools showing up all of the time... ;)

Edited by Ran

Yes, that is exactly what I'm talking about. I typically saddle stitch 2.5 or 3.5 stitches.....the 'point five' is me keeping the ends on the same side (usually the back) of the leather.

It takes a few minutes longer, but I'm not a production shop, so it's only my time I'm wasting.

Yes, that is exactly what I'm talking about. I typically saddle stitch 2.5 or 3.5 stitches.....the 'point five' is me keeping the ends on the same side (usually the back) of the leather.

It takes a few minutes longer, but I'm not a production shop, so it's only my time I'm wasting.

Mike...thank you. The '0.5' stitch is exactly what I do too when I'm hand-stitching....and for the same reason. I don't mind the extra time it takes either. ESPECIALLY in light of the fact that I can now get around a holster lickity-split..

AGHHHHHHH Lucky Guy......Great Pickup........I'm coming to Tomohawk

AGHHHHHHH Lucky Guy......Great Pickup........I'm coming to Tomohawk

Sorry Blues.. When I asked my wife what she thought about me buying a leather stitcher, I was pleasantly surprised when she encouraged me to go for it.. It just 'might' have something to do with her and our daughters heading to Cancun this winter without me.. Honestly, I would MUCH rather have the stitcher than go to Cancun anyways..:)

Can someone tell me how I'll know when the bobbin is getting low on thread? (without inspecting, that is??)

On production runs, you should wind a full, tight bobbin, then count the pieces as you sew them. When you do run out of bobbin thread count how many complete items were sewn before the one that needs splicing. That's what I do, other than opening the bobbin case every now and then.

hmmmm.....Wiz, what's the feasibility of a polycarbonate window in the bobbin shuttle? Or is that just a solution in search of a problem?

I suppose that if you have the tools in that ridiculously clean shop, you could cut an inspection window in the shuttle. You'd need to smooth both sides of the cut, of course, but it's an idea.

Awesome. I want one badly. As for your bike, just make it something pretty and be very supportive when you give it to her.

hmmmm.....Wiz, what's the feasibility of a polycarbonate window in the bobbin shuttle? Or is that just a solution in search of a problem?

I suppose that if you have the tools in that ridiculously clean shop, you could cut an inspection window in the shuttle. You'd need to smooth both sides of the cut, of course, but it's an idea.

My wife tells me that her Viking embroidery machine has some sort of alarm letting her know when the bobbin is nearing empty. But I suppose when embroidering its a bigger problem to have a bobbin go empty in the middle of a project than when stitching.. It would be cool to be able to inspect the bobbin without having to pop it out, but I suppose I'll get a feel for it (as per Wiz's suggestion) much like being able to guess how much thread to cut for a saddle stitch loop..

Awesome. I want one badly. As for your bike, just make it something pretty and be very supportive when you give it to her.

Ha!..:)

Edited by Ran

Hey Randy,

You have a nice shop,bike & esp a great machine there!!

Yes,as Wiz mentioned you'll get the hang of when to check the bobbin & hopefully catch before it runs out.Using 277 thread there's approx 60 feet on it so if you can keep track of how many feet you sew you won't have to check it so often.

P.S. I wished you would of told me you had a Harley we take them in on trade!! Just in case you need to make some room.

Have Fun,

Bob

Hey Randy,

You have a nice shop,bike & esp a great machine there!!

Yes,as Wiz mentioned you'll get the hang of when to check the bobbin & hopefully catch before it runs out.Using 277 thread there's approx 60 feet on it so if you can keep track of how many feet you sew you won't have to check it so often.

P.S. I wished you would of told me you had a Harley we take them in on trade!! Just in case you need to make some room.

Have Fun,

Bob

Thanks Bob.. I'll post some other pics of my shop one of these days. You guys aren't seeing the best part of it in these pics. As I've mentioned, I'm a long time woodworker/cabinet maker/furniture builder and the shop is pretty much set up for those activities. My poor 400# cabinet tablesaw is now sitting under sheets of leather!..:)

Here's the rest of the shop.

DSCN4115.jpg

DSCN4116.jpg

DSCN4117.jpg

DSCN4118.jpg

I have a bunch of favorite quotes on my shop walls. This one among them

DSCN4119.jpg

Nice Shop!! It doesn't look like your hurtin for equipment or tools any.

I like that quote.

Be dure to show us what you make with the new machine!.

Bob

Nice shop! Very similar to our woodworking shop. Looks like you're using your assembly/sanding table for your leather work now? One plus is you have plenty of lighting!

Nice shop! Very similar to our woodworking shop. Looks like you're using your assembly/sanding table for your leather work now? One plus is you have plenty of lighting!

Thanks Benlilly. I built the shop myself two year ago and made sure to install ample lighting. My assembly table is one of my most used tools and many of my woodworking tools are used in leatherworking. Heck, I even set up my lathe as a burnisher..:).

A very light and clean work shop, I wish I had all that empty space to fill up. I do not have a free spot to hang up a tiny edger in mine, good luck with your new machine. I like those big Cowboy flywheels, Hi Bob, remember to tell me when you get them in stock again. I do not know if I really need one, but I want one anyway.

A very light and clean work shop, I wish I had all that empty space to fill up. I do not have a free spot to hang up a tiny edger in mine, good luck with your new machine. I like those big Cowboy flywheels, Hi Bob, remember to tell me when you get them in stock again. I do not know if I really need one, but I want one anyway.

Trox....I very purposely maintain some open area in my shop. Its a multi-use shop wherein I can drive my Polaris Ranger inside to work on it, or when I'm bringing in material for a woodworking project, etc. Most of my large and heavy tools are on lockable casters so I can wheel them out when needed, and get them out of the way when not in use (lathe, planer, drum sander, drill press, welder, bandsaw, even the assembly table can be rolled around).

Hi Ran, Yes I see. I would too, unfortunately I would need a much bigger workshop to do so. I am dreaming of an bigger shop where I can have a very large workbench in the middle, rooming a full hide cow leather at least. My machines will be surrounding against the walls, tools be hanging on a sealing mounted rack over the work bench (much like a modern kitchen cooking island with a large free hanging damp cap). Light colors and lots of modern lightning. My workshop has been re-modeled every time I have purchased a new machine ( about twelve times), just to get room for more. There is nothing else to do, than to get a bigger shop.

Back to the envy sir! I want to play at your house!